SM1 Threading vs Mitty vs Nikon M26

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

SM1 Threading vs Mitty vs Nikon M26

Post by ray_parkhurst »

This has probably been discussed before, but I was going through some equipment I bought at a surplus sale, and there are a couple of Thorlabs SM1 pieces that were very interesting, including some fine focus items. I was not sure initially what the items were, so I tried attaching a Nikon BD objective to see if it was compatible. It almost is, but the Nikon M26 is clearly a coarser thread, though indeed it will thread in several turns before it begins to bind. I then tried a Mitty MPlan Apo and it seemed to work perfectly. Looking at the thread specs for the Mitty, I see they are 26.0-36tpi. The SM1 spec is 26.3-40tpi, which is pretty darn close. So it seems SM1 components can support Mitty lenses nicely. The components I picked up were an SM1 helicoid (0.5mm per turn) and a couple SM1ZA Z-Axis flexure mounts with 50um per turn adjustments, along with some extensions and rings for mounting 1" optics.

Is anyone using SM1 components with their Mitty objectives?

RobertOToole

Re: SM1 Threading vs Mitty vs Nikon M26

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Ray,

Thats good to know Ray, thanks, Mity M26 compatibility crossed my mind and I have a bunch of SM1 stuff including a couple of iris units with round apertures. I've been collecting SM1 adapters of all types, like RMS > SM1 and SM1>SM2 of course.

SM1 pieces seem to be easy to find on the used market for way less than retail.

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

The helicoid I have is same as this one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175027253427

Looks like it will make a perfect fine focus mount for M26.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

As a reminder, Thorlabs sells adapters that go from SM1 to a wide variety of things, including Mitutoyo [M26 x 0.706(36tpi)], RMS, and many others.

Thorlabs adapter chart

--Chris S.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Chris S. wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:13 pm
As a reminder, Thorlabs sells adapters that go from SM1 to a wide variety of things, including Mitutoyo [M26 x 0.706(36tpi)], RMS, and many others.

Thorlabs adapter chart

--Chris S.
Thanks. I use M42 for most intermediates, and since SM1 is pretty close to M26, the M26 to M42 adapters I use for the objectives work well enough with SM1. The SM1 components just give more options to stay in 1" space for more of the system.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic