New High Power Setup

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

New High Power Setup

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I don't normally publish details about my setups, but my most recent build makes use of a lot of work and comments from various folks on this forum, so I thought it might be interesting for others to see. Plus, it worked out so well that I can recommend some of the techniques for others.

In particular, @Lou Jost and others have praised the usefulness of microscope focus blocks for high power work. As it turns out, I had an Optiphot focus block that I have been trying to sell for more than a year, and it seems I could not give it away, so I decided to see if Lou and others were right. I had no doubt, of course, but had never put a system together with one of these. It was about time.

The focus block has a 100um/turn fine focus knob. It came to me with the plastic fine focus gear stripped, and I re-built the block as a beta tester for Lothar's offering of the fine focus gears for sale. You can see the beta test results here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30067&start=30

During the rebuild, I didn't clean up the grease effectively, so had to do so for this recent system build. It was quite a chore, so I can perhaps understand why no one was interested in purchasing this block. After the cleanup, it operates as expected, with no backlash as long as the block is in its normal, vertical orientation.

The build consisted of the following processes:

1. Mount the focus block to a base. I chose a laminated bamboo cutting board, since bamboo is easy to work with, and the cutting board had nice rubber feet.
2. Add a top cap to mount the vertical column. I bought a 3"x3"x1/4" aluminum piece from eBay for this. I try to build everything from pre-cut aluminum bar stock or extrusions these days.
3. Mount the vertical column. I chose a 12" 8020 40-series extrusion, so drilled a 1/4" hole in the top cap and mounted the column with a long threaded rod. I do this with all my systems now and have done so for several years. It's the most rigid and simplest method I've found for attaching columns, etc.
4. Mount the 3x3 top cap to the focus block. 4 holes and countersinking the top cap, plus drilling and tapping the focus block.
5. Remove the non-graduated fine focus knob and replace with universal coupler. The shaft is 3mm, while my selected stepper shaft is 5mm, so I used the appropriate 3mm/5mm coupler. Took some care to ensure proper pressure on the bearing surfaces, similar to installing the knob.
6. Put motor mount in place, and place motor for marking the mount. I used the long side of an Arca L-bracket for this. Mark the screw holes, and extent of the center hole. Drill the screw holes and route/file the center hole.
7. Hard-mount the motor to the motor mount, the mount to the base, and the motor to the coupler. Test to ensure alignment and adjust as needed.
8. Install Arca plate to the column. I used a cut piece of a 480mm plate, approx 50% of the length, but any Arca plate will do.
9. Cut the mounting bracket from the front of a Vivitar bellows, and attach small Arca clamps to the lens and camera standards.
10. Install Vivitar bellows to the Arca plate
11. Plug motor cable into a stepper controller. I've used Peter Lin's @mjkzz controllers exclusively for years, and this is what I built with.
12. Install a stage mount to the focus block. I used the standard stage mount.
13. Install an XY platform to the stage mount. I did not have a Nikon platform, so installed a SuperEyes XY stage using double-stick tape. I plan to replace this stage with a Nikon XY, but the compactness of the SuperEyes is compelling and nearly overcomes its significant backlash issues, so I'm still living with it for now.
14. Install the lens. I tested the system with the 50x Mitty, and 20x Nikon MM. The Nikon is shown in the image below.

The system is more rock solid than any I've built to date. Just a pleasure to use. Settling time to small external shock is a couple hundred microseconds, and much faster for stepper movements or shutter actuations, so I can shoot at 50x with minimal time delays.

This is now my dedicated system for doing phono stylus contact surface imaging, and for any other work at 20x or higher. It has given my old HRT2i a new lease on life! I expected to use the HRT2i until it died, but ended up replacing it with the A7Rm4. Now the HRT2i can continue being productive.

The motor I chose for the build was a single-shaft NEMA-14 with 400-steps. A 400-step motor has 100-step hard detents when powered. These work nicely with the 100um/turn fine focus knob. Manual operation of the graduated knob gives 1um per detent step. Automated operation of the 400-step motor gives 250nm per full step, plenty small enough for almost any requirement.

My first automated setup kept the camera fixed and moved the subject stage. I subsequently have built 3 generations of setups where I move the camera while keeping the subject fixed. This setup goes back to the fixed camera / moving stage approach. I think this approach makes a lot of sense at higher power, since moving the camera involves moving a lot of mass, and a lot of precision. Moving the stage is easier, whether it be with a microscope focus block, or other method, and moves far less mass, so settling times can be much faster. I am not giving up my current stack and stitch setup for this one for general use, but for high power this new setup is far superior.

Here is a pic and description of the setup:
High Power Setup_2_1.JPG
Last edited by ray_parkhurst on Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scarodactyl

Re: New High Power Setup

Post by Scarodactyl »

Nice work! Very clean and stylish on top of being practical.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:40 pm
Nice work! Very clean and stylish on top of being practical.
Thanks! Automating the focus block was easier than I expected. Very convenient that the Nikon focus blocks have 3mm shafts, since that's the same diameter as the THK KR15 and other small rails and mechanics, so couplers are readily available. The 3mm-5mm coupler came from eBay.

It's also nice to have a tactile feel on the fine focus knob, with precise 1um increments. The graduations also give confirmation of the 250nm steps, with the knob moving 1/4 increment with each motor step. These simple things give lots of confidence in the operation of the setup configuration.

Now I just need to get a better XY table. I see some available on eBay so will probably pick up a "real" Nikon table.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Very nice setup, Ray.

Welcome to the microscope block users club :lol:
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 am
Now I just need to get a better XY table. I see some available on eBay so will probably pick up a "real" Nikon table.
For your use I would recommend one from a metallurgical scope (for reflected light) that moves all the surface (or a good portion of it), most biological models move in the X direction only the slide holder (although you already knew it, I think)
Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Pau wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:34 am
Very nice setup, Ray.

Welcome to the microscope block users club :lol:
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 am
For your use I would recommend one from a metallurgical scope (for reflected light) that moves all the surface (or a good portion of it), most biological models move in the X direction only the slide holder (although you already knew it, I think)
Indeed I am familiar with the slide holder movement in X, and in other stages I have used I have added a stage plate that attaches to the bar.

Here is the one I am considering:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154798660159

The chips and scratches it has don't give me a lot of confidence given the "outstanding cosmetic and working condition" description, but as long as it functions well I will be happy. Having the XY adjustment knobs underneath rather than on top (like my current Chinese-made XY) will be a benefit as well. I see some stages with the knobs on the sides, but this will extend the stage more than I would like on the sides and make it more difficult to add a dust cover effectively

I am only assuming that these stages have zero/minimal backlash, which is the main reason I'm wanting to swap it out. The Chinese-made stage has an annoying amount of backlash, and moves quite far per turn, so is hard to dial-in the position at high powers.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:13 am

This is a biological one missing the slide holder. You could adapt a plate profiting the threaded holes for mounting the holder although in principle a full moving X-Y would be preferable.

- inexpensive and beaten good stages often show some backlash
Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Pau wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 am
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:13 am

This is a biological one missing the slide holder. You could adapt a plate profiting the threaded holes for mounting the holder although in principle a full moving X-Y would be preferable.

- inexpensive and beaten good stages often show some backlash
Yes, adding a plate is my plan. I am interested specifically in the transmitted capability of the stage, not for using transmitted illumination, but for extending the working distance of the system for larger coins. Indeed I had planned to cut a larger hole in the XY stage and mount some substage illumination that points downward to the base, which would be the stage for this purpose. Thus I'd shoot full coins "through" the XY stage, and install the add-on stage to the XY for detail shooting. I may still go this way eventually but for sure I will get an XY that supports this functionality.

I suppose I will go with a more expensive stage with guarantee to hopefully avoid a stage with backlash, or at least giving me the ability to return it if unacceptable.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Ray, that's a beautiful build. I can also highly recommend the Nikon x-y stage. There is absolutely zero backlash. The limitation mentioned above is rarely important, since you can put your subject on a microscope slide. If the subject is too heavy, though, friction may be high enough to make the slide slip out of the slide-holder when it moves in certain directions. There's an easy solution, just replace the silver aluminum slide holder with a thin aluminum sheet, drilled to fit the same screws that hold the slide-holder. You do have to make a small step in the aluminum sheet, or build a small spacer between the sheet and stage, as you'll see when you look closely at the slide-holder.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:29 pm
Ray, that's a beautiful build. I can also highly recommend the Nikon x-y stage. There is absolutely zero backlash. The limitation mentioned above is rarely important, since you can put your subject on a microscope slide. If the subject is too heavy, though, friction may be high enough to make the slide slip out of the slide-holder when it moves in certain directions. There's an easy solution, just replace the silver aluminum slide holder with a thin aluminum sheet, drilled to fit the same screws that hold the slide-holder. You do have to make a small step in the aluminum sheet, or build a small spacer between the sheet and stage, as you'll see when you look closely at the slide-holder.
Thanks Lou. It was your glowing recommendation of these focus blocks, plus my inability to sell the block, that made me decide to do something with it instead. It came out surprisingly functional, more than expected.

Thanks for the heads-up on the "step". My plan is to install a plastic stage plate, but it seems I'll need to support the plate to eliminate instability due to the step. Should not be a problem, but good to know ahead of time.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Ray,

Meant to give you some feedback earlier but some family stuff came up!

I like the setup!

In the future I would recommend to try an Olympus style XY stage with the concentric knob, both X and Y use the same control, once you use one you don't want to go back to dual controls. I dont even have to take my eye off the screen, finder, I can just reach down and re-position.
My unit came with a complete stand with tower etc but I see them all the time on eBay separately.

One more, IKEA sells a nice thick butcher block for cheap:

APTITLIG Butcher block, bamboo, 17 ¾x14 ¼x 1-1/4
$19.99

Sorry these used to be $11. Wow. 180% increase! Anyway they were a steal at $11 at least.

Best,

lothman

Post by lothman »

I use one of these xy tables from China and I'm very happy with it. No problem to to adjust things at 20x and offers an aperture for transmitted light.
Link to Aliexpress
xy_table.png

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Thanks for the tips guys!

I picked up the SuperEyes stage to offer as an option with the systems I build. As such it had to have a solid top since coin photogs don't do transmitted light. My purposes for this setup allows (demands) a transmitted light stage to be used.

I went with the Nikon stage because it keys into the dovetail stage holder that works with the focus block. Plus it was relatively cheap. The one I got has the concentric knob as Robert mentions, so should be nice for one-handed adjustments.

Thanks for the bamboo block cutting board link, Robert. I see they have a thinner (3/4" thick) version that is a bit narrower as well for $9.99. I've been searching for a reliable source for a larger cutting board, and this looks good. I build a system for shooting larger collectibles, magazines, etc using a larger board, and this seems perfect. A few folks have asked for a system to shoot comics, large coin pages, etc and the column on my systems was getting in the way, so now I build some with two columns like this (note the lights are in position for shooting coins):
f45352b2d416e966ed9921be5c4042df.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

lothman wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:49 am
I use one of these xy tables from China and I'm very happy with it. No problem to to adjust things at 20x and offers an aperture for transmitted light.
Link to Aliexpress

xy_table.png

Nice item Lothar, I never thought to check Chinese suppliers and this unit in the link has a z axis rotation stage also?
My unit doesn't even have that.

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I agree it's a nice XY stage, and the price is decent at ~$45, but it also says ~$45 shipping, so the stage would cost me $90. Perhaps others get a better shipping deal? Are the days of free shipping on Chinese goods gone now?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:29 pm
I agree it's a nice XY stage, and the price is decent at ~$45, but it also says ~$45 shipping, so the stage would cost me $90. Perhaps others get a better shipping deal? Are the days of free shipping on Chinese goods gone now?
Hi Ray,

I did notice that shipping cost and as a % of the cost of the stage its not good, but if I try to send something 4 lbs to China it would cost me more than $45 so really its not that bad. Last month Fedex quoted me $993 to ship a lens Express service to Tokyo without insurance. I ended up using DHL express that was $360 for the same box (I have a -50% business off account with DHL). The Fedex price was outrageous! (Fedex broke their record for profit in the last quarter due to home shopping during the pandemic, I checked, so the $993 was just price gouging in my opinion). Looking at $45 shipping sounds great compared. :D

Best,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic