Axial Lights II (Ghostbuster?)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mjkzz

Re: Axial Lights II (Ghostbuster?)

Post by mjkzz »

The Sony A7R5 is amazing, particularly now it has focus bracketing function. With its large pixel count, 61MP, it is easy to get a decent sized stacked image with no rail!!! This is a zoomable image and it was stacked using Zerene from 16 focus bracketed images on the Sony A7R5. Now I regret I did not get the 90mm macro as the coaxial cage is too tall, I could not get 1:1 magnification, else, I could have manually stack and stitch'ed 4 of them to make a 100MP image.

lothman

Post by lothman »

mjkzz wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:04 am
Now I regret I did not get the 90mm macro as the coaxial cage is too tall, I could not get 1:1 magnification, else, I could have manually stack and stitch'ed 4 of them to make a 100MP image.
an the A7rv the new Sigma 105/2.8 shines, not so much the Sony FE90 :wink: bracketing also works with the Sigma.

click big: russian deck watch, big file

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

lothman wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:45 am
mjkzz wrote:
Now I regret I did not get the 90mm macro as the coaxial cage is too tall, I could not get 1:1 magnification, else, I could have manually stack and stitch'ed 4 of them to make a 100MP image.
an the A7rv the new Sigma 105/2.8 shines, not so much the Sony FE90 :wink: bracketing also works with the Sigma.

click big: russian deck watch, big file
Wow, that is stunning!!! Kowtows. Is it focus bracketed or by rail?

I was itchy to get the A1 (or A9) when someone here showed some images, but it was lacking focus bracketing, so I pulled the trigger as soon as A7R5 came out in China, it is amazing, no regrets. But I was looking for a compact macro lens for some motion control work, even thought about the 30mm crop sensor lens. Now, this Sigma 105 f/2.8 is definitely a must have for stills! Thanks for the info.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

mjkzz wrote:
The Sony A7R5 is amazing, particularly now it has focus bracketing function. With its large pixel count, 61MP, it is easy to get a decent sized stacked image with no rail!!! This is a zoomable image and it was stacked using Zerene from 16 focus bracketed images on the Sony A7R5. Now I regret I did not get the 90mm macro as the coaxial cage is too tall, I could not get 1:1 magnification, else, I could have manually stack and stitch'ed 4 of them to make a 100MP image.
Excellent sharpness and lighting, although I really dislike the effigy at the coin: the bloodthirsty spanish dictator Franco
Pau

lothman

Post by lothman »

mjkzz wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:53 am
bracketed A7rv and Sigma 105, Zerene pmax

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Pau wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:12 am
mjkzz wrote:
Excellent sharpness and lighting, although I really dislike the effigy at the coin: the bloodthirsty spanish dictator Franco
Yikes, pardon my lack of history, did not mean to offend anyone. I just needed a larger coin, so I bought it on Taobao, Ray (at coin comm) pointed out that it has two dates on it, so not even sure if it is real one. Sorry to anyone who feels offended. See if I can get another coin.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

lothman wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:14 am
mjkzz wrote:
Thanks.

jurkovicovic

Post by jurkovicovic »

Project preparation for FF.
The cube will be inserted between the lens and the sensor.
Material used: 3D printed cube, 2x stepdown ring 58mm - 52mm, optical glass 70x47x0.3mm.
https://autode.sk/41JO3Cy
2nd version (design change by designer)
https://autode.sk/41P2ntQ

Comments on the project are welcome. Thanks.
canon EOS *

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

lothman wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:14 am
mjkzz wrote:
Decided to skip the Sigma, seems the FE 50 f/2.8 is fine, particularly for videos.

121 images, focus bracketed and stacked in Zerene PMax
BorrelSM.jpg

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Though this is about focus bracketing on A7R5, the coaxial lighting cage is used as example. I hope the word "Zerene" is pronounced correctly :D

Here is the video.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

mjkzz wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:33 am
Though this is about focus bracketing on A7R5, the coaxial lighting cage is used as example. I hope the word "Zerene" is pronounced correctly :D

Here is the video.
The video is excellent -- very well photographed and narrated! Can you divulge what tools were used to make it?

That idea of using a monitor stand as a camera holder is new to me. It looks very effective.

--Rik

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Thanks Rik.

Yeah, good idea to share how the video was made, maybe people here can start doing the same, ie, showing video here. Then maybe it is good idea to support embedded video on this forum.

Equipment for video: Sony FX30, excellent video camera, "cheap" but capable. Lenses used are FE 16-35 f/4 zoom lens, it is a "bargain" as it has internal focusing and internal zooming (lens does not extend out when doing both), the best part is, it is ALMOST parfocal -- focus stays on the subject as you zoom, this is the bargain part as most cinema lenses with this kind of feature are EXPENSIVE. Another lens is the FE 40mm f/2.5. Both lenses are sharp as knife (for video). Always shoot in SLOG3 (explain later)

Color grading: Davincci Resolve, Phantom LUT to covnert SLOG3 to REC 709, the LUT is a MUST, you can literally use it straight out without other grading. I used Kodak 2383 film simulation LUT after the Phantom LUT for that video, but without film grain for style, so a little color shift (white is not pure white).

Audio: Zoom H5 with additional shotgun type SSH6, this combination is great for voice over. If you want to do "real time" voice, get a lavalier mic to go with you.

The monitor arm thing is not my idea, I learned it from this video by DSLR Video Shooter.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the details!
mjkzz wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:31 pm
Then maybe it is good idea to support embedded video on this forum.
Done already, see viewtopic.php?p=286391#p286391 .

Here is yours:

Audio: Zoom H5 with additional shotgun type SSH6, this combination is great for voice over. If you want to do "real time" voice, get a lavalier mic to go with you.
So, is the voice in this one human? It seems so clean and uniform, I thought it was probably synthetic.

--Rik

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

ahhhh, I did not know this forum supports youtube, thanks. I think video is better communication tool, to explain things better.

Yes, the voice over in that video was synthetic, I thought it was obvious, I guess nowadays, AI is so powerful :D But with Zoom H5, you can still get clean and uniform audio, with little editing. However, we human stutter often and it will take a lot of cuts to get it right, so AI is the future for mundane work. To be creative, human!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic