Q-Tips OK for microscope optics cleaning?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

brettpim

Q-Tips OK for microscope optics cleaning?

Post by brettpim »

When I bought my Reichert Zetopan, it came with "The Unique Microscope Cleaning Kit" from Scogil Scientific Inc. of Raleigh North Carolina. It has "optics cleaning swabs" which I have been using to clean the optical pathway of my microscope with Foxwest Optical Lens Cleaner Cat. No 1100. I have used up more than half of the ones that were in my kit. When they run out do I have to find a new source of "optics cleaning swabs" or are Q-tips OK? Do Q-tips have impurities that might scratch my optics?

Olympusman

Re: Q-Tips OK for microscope optics cleaning?

Post by Olympusman »

DO NOT use Q-Tips. The cotton is mildly abrasive and may scratch the optics.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

brettpim

Post by brettpim »

Olympusman wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:45 am
DO NOT use Q-Tips. The cotton is mildly abrasive and may scratch the optics.

Mike
Thanks for the warning. Would these be OK:

CleanTips® Cotton Wrapped Mid-Size Swab, Texwipe

lothman

Post by lothman »

In Germany some use "Augenwatte", medical pure cotton wool you can buy in the pharmacy. Take a wooden stick and wrap it around using gloves.

Probably the same as in Webril® Handi-Pads but much cheaper ;-)

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Please don't use Q-tips.
Use good lens tissues, I recommend Thorlabs and Erma. Do the following after using an air blower to remove dust and fibres.
1. Cut a good sized strip, larger than the front optic of your objective.
2. Put a drip of cleaning liquid, on the tissue. I use Eclipse. Xylene works well too.
3. Drag it along the front optic.
https://microscopeclarity.com/how-to-cl ... objective/

If you're pedantic, use a centring telescope and wear gloves. Get optics grade Q-tips, add a droplet of cleaning solution and gentle "stick" away all the small dust particles, then use the method above. I will still recommend against using Q-tips and doing that "swirl". A packet of lens tissues with the method above will last more than a year for merely $7. (Better for the environment too!!)

If you're using long working distance microscope objectives, the front optic is pretty big and maybe concave, this method won't work as well. I just use lens tissues and do the swirl thing.

NEVER buy these cheap "lens" tissues, they are full of lint and will damage your optics. At least get Kimwipes, cheaper as well.
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1BjlxQXXX ... Sheets.jpg

brettpim

Post by brettpim »

Through VWR, the company that sells CleanTips® Cotton Wrapped Mid-Size Swab, Texwipe in my area, I contacted the manufacturer with the question
Are VWR Catalog Number TWTX705, CleanTips® Cotton Wrapped Mid-Size Swab, Texwipe®, suitable for cleaning microscope optical elements like objectives, condensers and oculars?
The company replied in the affirmative:
TWTX705 swabs are suitable for cleaning microscope optical elements like objectives, condensers and oculars. The swab heads are cotton and the handle is wood and they are used extensively in the optics industry. Depending on the critical level of the environment, some customers will use swabs that have a foam or polyester head and a polypropylene handle. Both can be used based on the customer’s preference.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic