Leica DM IRBE Inverted

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Leica DM IRBE Inverted

Post by Smokedaddy »

I picked this up a few months ago and trying to get it up and running. I've never owned an inverted scope before, nor a scope with this complexity. I haven't the knowledge nor expertise for its once confocal capabilities, so that's a moot issue. I was successful in getting it somewhat operational. Unfortunately, the slider/insert for the POL was lost but I 3D printed one that works perfectly, so soon I'll be able to experiment with DIC. I successfully installed MicroManager and once I purchased a USB/Serial adapter it seems to be working. I was wondering if anyone here has direct experience with using MicroManager and/or the operation of this particular scope? If so, I'd like to correspond with you via email if possible.

Here's a link to a few scope pictures.

https://pbase.com/smokedaddy/leica_dm_irbe_parts

This is my first attempt using the scope. It's just a single shot image, not stacked and taken with a cellphone. The background was cleaned up in PS.
Attachments
Test-shot-1024-20211029_184731.jpg

grgh

Re: Leica DM IRBE Inverted

Post by grgh »

What a beast. you must never leave an empty space in a home lab, guarantee something will come along to fill it.
nice shot with the cellphone.
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss Universal Phase contrast.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Very nice! Sounds like a fun project and the results look very good so far.

ModelZ

Post by ModelZ »

Nice image and a great project indeed. I wish you luck with it.
I have been shown a IRB model that might become available when the lab upgrades. So that is without "E". I don't much care or know about electronics. Do you know how much simpler i.e. "mechanical" that IRB model is? Or does one always have to deal with circuit boards and software with these Leica inverted ones?
Also do you have an idea how much a turretful of glass (say basic plan 4, 10, 20, 40 or so) suitable for these beasts might go for? Thanks.
-Karl

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

If I had it to do over again, I'd never go for a factory motorized scope. Both of my Polyvars are motorized (a MET and SC) but I've found a workaround. Finding a control box for the Polyvar is highly unlikely. I have a friend that owns two complete setups. I would love to own just one complete motorized Polyvar.

As far as the Leica goes, the /E version is quite complex. In its original confocal setup, it originally cost about 200k and took a team of people to operate. I wouldn't suggest buying the /E version unless it was 100% complete and in working order. You would also need deep pockets. Finding anyone with the knowledge of its operation is very difficult, probably impossible. <g> Leica tech support will not be of any use sourcing parts or help, I tried. I'm talking about the /E confocal version with lasers. I'm not using mine in the confocal setup and still wouldn't recommend it. I've spent countless hours tinkering, reading, and looking for help. I have not been able to figure out how to electronically set up the Z-Galvo stage mine came with but I can use it without being set up. I finally figured out a DSLR setup, so that's a positive. I was able to install MicroManager. That's open-source software for manipulating the scope. However the install went fine, I have not configured the software for my particular scope, so I don't know how well it will work. I have three really nice objectives, a Leica 100x/1..40 Oil "D". the 63x/1.32 Oil "D", and a 40x/0.85 "C" CORR (and a few more). The three that I mentioned would probably set you back about $2,500 in excellent condition if you can find them. Keep in mind that parts are really difficult to find and expensive. A single condenser or turret prism can run in the neighborhood of $400.00. Even the screw in condenser "lenses" are very difficult to find IF (note the if) you wanted the three that Leica offered.

So, back to your question. A DM IRB in working order with a decent set of objectives will cost you around 6K (in my opinion). I have a friend selling a complete setup at the moment if you're interested.

-JW:
Attachments
20211211_123354.jpg

ModelZ

Post by ModelZ »

Great info, thanks a lot. I have some modest skill with things mechanical and optical, been fabricating metal spares, done mods etc. to some older hardware (Zetopan, Phomi, PZO Biolar etc.). But these more modern things can be as you say very challenging esp. with electronics, IRB fine tuning even with factory manuals but without factory tools, well, maybe... Sometimes when a lab upgrades you can hope to collect several similar units bunched together, learn a lot from the population and then build one workng scope out of them. Unfortunately the one I've been eyeing is a single and missing some glass. I think with these one can use any Leica infinite glass but only with thin vessels. With others you need the LWD stuff.
Anyway, lucky you to get it that far. An interesting beast no doubt about that.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I too have a few older complete scopes all with DIC, Optiphot Biologica, PZO Biolar, Zetopan, Polyvar SC etc. The DM IRBE has M25 objectives. There are plenty on eBay. I don't think the internal microscope electronics are difficult to configure, pretty straightforward. All the other accessories are another story, like the Z-Galvo stage. If the electronic die inside the microscope, then that could be a problem. I don't believe the DM IRB would be a problem as long as it is complete. It's manual focus. Meaning all the necessities, filters, proper condenser, had the correct condenser, and turret prisms etc. You could get objectives on eBay. It just depends on the quality of the objectives you want. Some parts are still available from Leica. I've talked with two different Leica reps about parts. Of course, they're expensive if they have them.

I'm experimenting with different prisms combinations today.

A friend of mine is selling his manual focus DM IRB. He also posted a few diatom images in the posting.
'
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322682121076?h ... Swwe9ZoPb9

-JW:

PS: those are just single shot images, no stacking.
Attachments
4-Posting-E-prism-and-K7-prism-wide-open-full-power-IMG_1955.jpg
4-posting-K7-and-D-prism-IMG_1953.jpg
4-postingt-latest-wide-open-12-v-IMG_1946.jpg

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Motorising the scope is only a matter of figuring out the pins, most consist of 2 stepper motors and 4 limiters, so that's only 14 pins, which is why many use 15-pin connectors (DB15/VGA or DB15 2 rows type), one would be ground.

Simply disassemble the stage and take a multimeter to the 8 pins you've isolated from the 2 pairs of limiters. The pins that conduct are in the same phase, then do a guess and wire it up to whatever controller, even Stackshot 3x works.
I was able to get a Prior Optiscan controller for $30, it was sold as scrap that doesn't turn on, turns out it did and it was a full XYZ F1F2 setup (latter 2 being filter wheels). Just have to wait. It's completely possible to adapt any stage to any controller since there's usually enough wiggle room for the current. In rare cases, as it was regarding Wemacro's controller, excessive current will cause motors to become untouchably hot, you'll need to find a way to drop it. I would assume microscope stage controllers won't output that much (2.5A) current.

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

I've never played with this myself, but I've often thought about the paper below that uses a PlayStation controller to control a 3-axis motorized microscope stage. It just seems really ergonomic to me, compared to something like the stackshot control - for moving around the slide, that is.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0088977

ModelZ

Post by ModelZ »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:36 am
Motorising the scope is only a matter of figuring out the pins, most consist of 2 stepper motors and 4 limiters, so that's only 14 pins, which is why many use 15-pin connectors (DB15/VGA or DB15 2 rows type), one would be ground.

Simply disassemble the stage and take a multimeter to the 8 pins you've isolated from the 2 pairs of limiters. The pins that conduct are in the same phase, then do a guess and wire it up to whatever controller, even Stackshot 3x works.
I was able to get a Prior Optiscan controller for $30, it was sold as scrap that doesn't turn on, turns out it did and it was a full XYZ F1F2 setup (latter 2 being filter wheels). Just have to wait. It's completely possible to adapt any stage to any controller since there's usually enough wiggle room for the current. In rare cases, as it was regarding Wemacro's controller, excessive current will cause motors to become untouchably hot, you'll need to find a way to drop it. I would assume microscope stage controllers won't output that much (2.5A) current.
These are good bits, thanks! Sometime ago I got bundled with a pol scope a SteppingStage x-y-motorized slide clamp. Essentially unused, can be attached to most any stage but it is without controller (has VGA HD 15-pin jack). I thought maybe I have to get involved with some nitty gritty Arduino stuff or such to get it working. Perhaps not. Not my most urgent project but perhaps eventually will want to do some stiching stuff. Wouldn't want blindly spend much on this, so its great to know that this device may not be so exotic.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Macro,

If you know how to get my Z-Glavo stage working for my DM IRBE, I'm all ears.

https://pbase.com/smokedaddy/leica_dm_irbe_parts

-JW:

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Smokedaddy wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:28 pm
PS: those are just single shot images, no stacking.
Nice results with the DIC!

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Here's a larger view of a test image from today. Now I just need to figure out how to stack an image with the DM IRBE. I see some potential finally. I should have checked my Köhler illumination, oh well.

https://squattingdog.smugmug.com/Leica- ... -dvZ2mzT/A

-JW:

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I did write several blog posts on adapting these parts, which might have driven the price of Z-axis focus drives up. It's a waste of money now, just design a holder for a two-phase stepper motor and save $150. Saul has a good model which I'm sure he wouldn't mind being modified for specific models. Then simply get a Wemacro Micromate for the motor, forget about the bracket thingy.

Adapting Z-axis focus drive to Wemacro:
https://macrocosmosblog.wordpress.com/2 ... -part-1-2/
https://macrocosmosblog.wordpress.com/2 ... -part-2-2/

Adapting stage to Stackshot 3x. The restarting issue of the 3x was solved after I got a higher power supply brick.
https://macrocosmosblog.wordpress.com/2 ... 3x-part-1/

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been slowly working on that. Saul helped me on that one. I'm still not finished. Working on 4 microscope projects at once. <duh> Seem like everything I'm working on is a PITA.
Attachments
1024-Coupler-1-(1).jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic