Advice on cleaning microscope optics

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

brettpim

Advice on cleaning microscope optics

Post by brettpim »

I have a Reichert Zetopan and I spent this weekend cleaning its optical pathway. Things went pretty well overall but I have some questions.
  • The top surface of the top lens of my BPK 10X ocular has a spot that did not wipe away, see picture. I am using Foxwest Optical Lens Cleaner Cat. No 1100 with optics cleaning swabs. I am not sure if this spot is a stubborn stain and I should use some other chemical to budge it, or if it is a loss of anti-reflective surface coating.
  • I got the optics cleaning swabs in a box that came with my used scope. At some point I will run out. I am assuming that I should **not** use regular coton Q-tips because they might scratch but I wanted to check in case this cheap option is fine to use. If I should **not** use Q-tips, where can I get optics cleaning swabs?
  • For stubborn residues stuck to lenses and objectives can I use isopropyl alcohol to clean them off? If not isopropyl alcohol; what "stronger" cleansers can I use if I need more power than the Foxwest Optical Lens Cleaner.
  • When I started to disassemble one of my BPK 10x oculars I found that the metal ring which held the very first lens was stuck fast to the ocular's tube which means I cannot access the lenses beneath it for cleaning. What are my options to try to get it moving again? I cannot tell if someone in the microscope's past glued it or if it is just grime that has cemented it? If it is just grime, can I use isopropyl alcohol to try to soften the grime?
Attachments
spot_on_bpk_ocular.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic