What eyepiece design are these?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

brettpim

What eyepiece design are these?

Post by brettpim »

I have a Reichert Zetopan with the Reichert BPK 10x oculars and Plan 8x Oculars. I am interested in what designs they utilize. I attach drawings I have done of the lenses and spacing. I think that the Plan 8x Eyepiece is Huygens design from looking at wikipedia eyepiece article. Is the BPK 10x some combination of Plössl and Orthoscopic?
Attachments
plan_8x_ocular.jpg
bpk_10x_ocular.jpg

Stevie

Re: What eyepiece design are these?

Post by Stevie »

Let's see.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Generally eyepieces aren't discussed that way in microscopy. It's telescope guys who really have to worry about that stuff.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Some explanation and sources info would be great...

I absolutely dislike the graphs without magnitudes and units: they say nothing :o
Pau

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Should be the same units

brettpim

Post by brettpim »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:19 pm
Generally eyepieces aren't discussed that way in microscopy. It's telescope guys who really have to worry about that stuff.
What is it about telescopes that makes the eyepiece design important? And why does it matter less for microscopes

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

My understanding is that in teloscopy eyepieces serve a role more similar to objectives on microscpes--their individual quality is a vital component in differentiating one image/system from another (I know very little first hand because my gaze is fixed firmly downwards). In microscopy historically eyepieces were carefully paired to particular lines of objectives with vital image corrections built in, so you had very little chance to differentiate eyepieces in particular, and the objective is what is used for defining the magnification and overall quality of the image. Now the pairing is less important since few modern systems do those kinds of corrections in the eyepieces, but the objectives are still the defining feature with eyepieces rarely being a limiting factor.

brettpim

Post by brettpim »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:11 pm
My understanding is that in teloscopy eyepieces serve a role more similar to objectives on microscpes--their individual quality is a vital component in differentiating one image/system from another (I know very little first hand because my gaze is fixed firmly downwards). In microscopy historically eyepieces were carefully paired to particular lines of objectives with vital image corrections built in, so you had very little chance to differentiate eyepieces in particular, and the objective is what is used for defining the magnification and overall quality of the image. Now the pairing is less important since few modern systems do those kinds of corrections in the eyepieces, but the objectives are still the defining feature with eyepieces rarely being a limiting factor.
Interesting, thanks.

brettpim

Post by brettpim »

One of the things which got me thinking about ocular types was my failure adding a reticle to the Reichert BPK oculars but success recently adding a reticle to a Leitz 12.5x ocular. Neither the Reichert nor the Leitz ocular had a built in focusing mechanism like the Zeiss ocular where I also had success adding a reticle. But in the Reichert ocular the field stop is behind all the lenses and in the Leitz, the field stop is between the lens elements. Is it the fact that the field stop is between the two lenses which allows the Leitz to take a reticle without having a focusing mechanism built-in?

patta

Post by patta »

Eyepece #1, I'll call it Periplan, as looks like the Leitz periplan. Maybe was actually it, Leica branded Reichert.
It may do correction of color, astigmatism and curvature - and may do mess with non-leitz objectives. It was super-expensive.

Eyepiece #2, is the "standard wide"; never described anywhere but it's the most common eyepiece around.

Reticle, yes/no. All eyepieces with reticle should have focus, so you can adjust it to your eyes, to get the reticle sharp. Maybe the ones designed for use with eyeglasses, can get away with it. Eyepiece designs like Huygens, Reichert Plan, Periplan, yes have the stop= reticle position between lenses. most others, it is outside. The Leitz periplan I have here, the reticle is inside, AND the eyepiece has focus mechanism...
I love reticle inside because it doesn't get dust particles.

Amateur astronomers have an insane feticism for eyepieces, better stay away....
https://www.telescope-optics.net/eyepiece_raytrace.htm

Stevie

Post by Stevie »

Amateur astronomers have an insane feticism for eyepieces, better stay away....
For a number of reasons, but the feticism in itself isn't about design perse but about brand.
Televue and Pentax eyepieces are popular eyepieces and they will go nuts over Zeiss AO's and TMB mono's.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic