Mitutoyo M Plan APO HR 5X 0.21 Test Results

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Mitutoyo M Plan APO HR 5X 0.21 Test Results

Post by RobertOToole »

___APO-HR-5x-1024px.jpg
https://www.closeuphotography.com/apo-hr-5x

Got a rough APO HR 5x page up now. Final version should be public later tomorrow sometime.

Test result crops are now up with some rough text, and the results are really interesting, take a look if you have the pass and are interested.

If you need a pass just PM me. If you have the pass from the last test it will work so feel free to take a look and give me any feedback here, email or PM.

___-Mitutoyo-M-Plan-APO-HR-5x-0.21-M-Plan-APO-5x-and-QV-HR-2.5x-Objective-2021-www-closeuphotography-com.jpg

The HR5X is really impressive and results were a shock for a couple of reasons (I don't want to spoil it now) but I have to admit that I have not been this impressed with a lens since the d.fine HR 2.4/128 3.33x or the mag.x 5x, or the PN95-PN105!

Best,

Robert

Bakwetu

Re: Mitutoyo M Plan APO HR 5X 0.21 Test Results

Post by Bakwetu »

Sending some comments on PM after a quick read.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Bakwetu wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:59 am
Sending some comments on PM after a quick read.
Thank you and to everyone that sent in ideas and suggestions.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

The HR5X page is now ready and public.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/apo-hr-5x

Thank you for everyone that took time to help with suggestions and typos.

Best,

Robert

Antal

Post by Antal »

Another awesome test making me dream of a lens I probably will never own! Thank you Robert.

This would be a potent competitor for the mag X 5x. Is there a reason you did not include it in the comparison?

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

The normal m plan apo 5x is already a standard of quality--seeing how the hr runs circles around it is pretty amazing. I also doubt I'll ever get one but I'll keep an eye out!
Shame about the QV HR. It looks so similar except for the front bezel. I wonder what is up with that, if it's that different by design, a bad copy or what

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Antal wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:21 am
Another awesome test making me dream of a lens I probably will never own! Thank you Robert.

This would be a potent competitor for the mag X 5x. Is there a reason you did not include it in the comparison?
Hi Antal,

Yes, good question, I did plan to feature the mag.x, I did shoot it for the page so I have the ARW files of the same target, but in the end I left it out for a couple of reasons. BTW

Time. I took too long to finish the test and the page was getting a bit heavy already even without the mag.x.

Lack of a good 250mm tube lens. Even though I've had the mag.x for years I still cannot find a really good 250mm tube lens. The lenses that are pretty good, like the APO-Gerogon 5.6/240 are really short, something like 235 or 237mm. The Century +4 (250mm) is the same, its really a 228mm lens! I have a feeling I will need the Qioptiq System 125 tube if I really want to see the mag.x at a real 5x magnification!

Mitutoyo HR is a better lens really since it uses a easy to use 200mm tube lens and is something like half the cost new (the mag.x is much cheaper used though since its unknown). Chromatic aberrations, plan correction, and sharpness are in the same class, really really excellent. The Mitutoyo HRs images really are amazing, the lack of fringing and LoCAs on some of the tests disks is something I had never seen before (other than the mag.x or the inspec.x HR).

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:17 am
The normal m plan apo 5x is already a standard of quality--seeing how the hr runs circles around it is pretty amazing. I also doubt I'll ever get one but I'll keep an eye out!
Shame about the QV HR. It looks so similar except for the front bezel. I wonder what is up with that, if it's that different by design, a bad copy or what
Thought the same, I didn't expect those results. Before I started the test I was convinced it was the same lens as the M Plan HR just on a shorter TL.

Looking at the rear the objectives, the QV rear element is set back quit a bit more so they don't look like the same design. It wouldn't make sense to create a new design maybe its based on the M Plan HR but modified?

Speaking of the HR, I still cant believe the front shroud, when you look down the rear lens you can see the rear of the shroud, its blocking the front element. The HR was a stop+ faster than the M Plan 0.14, but the size of the HR front glass is counter-intuitive, the slower lens element is larger, the faster lens element is smaller, even though the same 40mm FL!

Best,

Robert

lothman

Post by lothman »

Thanks Robert, excellent like usual. Your test raised the bar very high ;-)

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I wonder if a Leica fl 250 surgical objective would do the trick. They're not super cheap but not ruinously expensive either.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

lothman wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:28 am
Thanks Robert, excellent like usual. Your test raised the bar very high ;-)
Thanks Lothar.

I need to say thanks to the owner of the lens! I've had that lens for a few months now 8-[

Best,

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Robert,
What do you think about the comparison of M Plan APO HR 5X 0.21 with TL=200mm
vs. M Plan Apo 10x/0.28 with TL pushed down to 100mm,
especially in terms of image circle?
Best, ADi

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:31 am
I wonder if a Leica fl 250 surgical objective would do the trick. They're not super cheap but not ruinously expensive either.
It would have to be really cheap. I've tried something like a dozen various 250mm lenses maybe, spent way too much money, and the best one so far? APO-Gerogon 9/240 that I picked up for $50! #-o

I don't even want to think about 250mm tube lenses, sad subject. In 2017, there were a few ebay sellers in Korea with mag.x, setups, tear downs from some machine vision assy line. I messaged one of the sellers and asked a price for just the lens I don't need the AF module, head, TL or coaxial pieces, just the lens I told them. The guy had 3 systems, they offered me $400 or something absurd for the 5x alone. Looking back that was a giant error in judgement, they were asking only $1699 or something for the entire setup! Just the tube lens alone new is $6000 from Qioptiq.

Best,

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

not that I'm in the market of buying a mity, but what confuses me is that the price of the HR 5x on the official site is about 2500EUR while on EO it's nearly twice that.
what am I missing?

their site is down atm:
https://shop.mitutoyo.eu/web/mitutoyo/e ... 4596A51E8C

but here the google cache:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=de
chris

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Hello Robert,

Thank you for conducting and publishing these clear and comprehensive tests. The performance of the Raynox DCR-150 with the Mitutoyo HR 5x is especially impressive! :)

Best regards,
David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic