damaged Leitz Oel 100/1.30

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

brettpim

damaged Leitz Oel 100/1.30

Post by brettpim »

I have a 45mm focal distance Leitz Oel 100/1.30 objective from an 1970s Ortholux. I believe it was used on a turret next to a 37mm focal distance 40/ objective and was brought too low when focusing the 40, collided with the stage and was damaged. I attach the best picture I cold take of it, but it is hard to make out exactly what is damaged:

- there is a small chip in the black ring around the front lens (bottom left in picture)
- The lens itself has a small chip missing and cracks radiating out from the chip (right side in picrture)
- it looks like the chip in the lens has exposed a thin metal ring that might be holding the front lens

I have not used the lens to see the impact of the damage on image quality because I am nervous to use oil on it.

Questions:

- If I use oil with the lens, will the oil get inside and completely ruin the lens?
- What is likely impact of chip and cracks on image quality?
- Can the lens be repaired or stabilized in cost-effective manner?

thanks
brett
Attachments
chipped_objective.jpg

PeteM

Re: damaged Leitz Oel 100/1.30

Post by PeteM »

A guesstimate, sorry to say, is that you won't get a good image from it.

Leitz 100x finite objectives often sell on Ebay for not too much (especially the ones for 170mm tube length) - under $$60 or so if you take some time in buying. This would likely be less than the cost of any attempt at professional restoration.

If you think the damage to the front element is just a chip and the seal is intact, you might trying viewing with it. It is sometimes a happy surprise that a nicked or scratched front element still provides a usable image.

If you think the front element is cracked and the surround seal is broken, I'm at a loss for a sure path forward. You could try the objective with distilled water as an immersion medium just to see if you can a promising image. If so, you might let it dry and then find some cement to attempt to repair the surround??

brettpim

Re: damaged Leitz Oel 100/1.30

Post by brettpim »

I think that because the metal ring holding the lens is exposed that the seal is almost certainly broken. Thanks for the advice.

regards
brett

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic