Playing With Step Motor

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mjkzz

Playing With Step Motor

Post by mjkzz »

Having discussed about detent torque and holding torque in another thread, I decided to recreate a test I did 5 or 6 years ago and shot a video about. Hopefully, this will help people understand step motor a bit more.

In the video, the black object is a block of solid steel weighing 4014.5 grams (4.0145KG or about 8.92 lbs), the motor is a bit larger than the one I used 5 years ago, it is a Nema 17 motor, 23mm (0.905 inch). The rail is a HiWin KK50 with 2mm pitch screw, this is also different from what I did last time (a THK KR2001A, which is even more efficient and less friction)

Anyways, Effect of Idle Power, have fun.

Macro_Cosmos

Re: Playing With Step Motor

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Thanks for the test. I need to read into your controller, the couple I have doesn't allow current adjustments and it's making things harder than they should be for my projects. =D>

Edit: That wi-fi one looks very attractive. :-k

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

That's a good and useful video, Peter.

I also second your advice in another thread that if one wishes to get a sense of stepper motors, it's a good idea to just get a stepper and constructively play with it.

--Chris S.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

@Macro_Cosmos, ok, lets focus on the video :)

Thanks Chris, yes, hands on experience is important and that is why I kept it interesting without giving out results in another thread -- those interested will do it. The video did but at least it shows what is going on (vs me describing it using words). There are more considerations that I will not get into. Just one more here -- after the holding torque is overcome by external disturbance (for the shorted phases part in video), momentum will keep it moving a bit more. Even when powered at 62.5ma, it still happens, it did not show in video because I did not push it harder, having 9 lbs solid block of steel falling on table top is thunderous. We do not see it with naked eyes, but it is enough to ruin a stack. So to be conservative, maybe 250ma (0.25A) is need to 'lock' it in place.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic