10X infinite objective help

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DavyC

10X infinite objective help

Post by DavyC »

All,
Be glad of some input regarding 10x infinite objective selection. I have a few bits and pieces on the way. Raynox DCR-150, Nikon Bellows and various adapters to couple the tube lens.
I have a Fuji XT-20 (APSC) camera. Not sure if I could justify high end Nikon or similar pieces. Your answer may change this decision though.
Are there any competent, maybe used objectives, worth consideration? Thanks in advance

JKT

Re: 10X infinite objective help

Post by JKT »

Do you need working distance or not? In other words - what are you going to photograph and what is the intended light setup?

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Subjects, mainly small insects. Lighting is currently several Speedlights. It will be a bit of trial and error. May have to end up with a constant light source LED or Fiberoptic

JKT

Post by JKT »

OK - that requires decent working distances. The 10x Mitutoyo in the buy/sell forum should work well, but you may consider it too pricey. I'm not sure about other good choices in that magnification.

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Thanks for getting back to me. The Mitutoyo looks like something special to go for down the line. I would have to let my wallet recover first, before considering it. I did go ahead and order an Olympus 10X Plan objective. Not the CY type and no ND filter to reduce the brightness. Working distance is only 10.5mm, So I am going to have to live with that. Just waiting on bits and pieces arriving to complete the set-up.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

A good fit for you might be Nikon CFI BE 10X NA 0.25 WD 6.7 (part number MRN70100). The relatively short working distance (6.7 mm) is usually no problem because the objective has a narrow conical tip that leaves plenty of room for light to get around it. The objective should cover full frame with no problems, since I've gotten good results on APS-C at 5X on a 100 mm tube lens. See viewtopic.php?t=16348 for an example. This objective can be purchased new for about $100 USD. In the UK, best source may be straight from Nikon. You should be able to get contact information from their website. For a little more information see viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27205 .

The biggest downside, compared to Mitutoyo, is that the Nikon CFI BE has a significant amount of longitudinal chromatic aberration, which can introduce typically blue/purple color casts, especially in out-of-focus areas. However, the CFI BE actually has less of this CA than the higher priced Nikon CFI Plan Achromat 10x NA 0.25 WD 10.5mm (part number MRL00102), which is a very popular objective for this sort of work.

I see you've been posting while I've been typing. Probably all the above info is moot since you've already ordered the Olympus. But I'll post anyway, just in case it may benefit somebody else.

--Rik

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Thanks for the heads up re-the Nikon Types. I am looking forward to getting into this. I still have a lot to learn and a bit of construction and lighting to sort out. It's all part of the fun!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic