Looking for a new monitor

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Looking for a new monitor

Post by Smokedaddy »

I have a new computer on the way and looking for a monitor, 27" or larger. Just looking for some suggestions. Naturally, I stack images but also use Photoshop (and plugins), Rhino, Fusion, Blender etc.

Thanks in advance,
-JW:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a new monitor

Post by rjlittlefield »

Are you particularly attached to the concept of one monitor? I've become very fond of my two-monitor setup, each 4K, so giving me a total space of 7680 x 2160.

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I've used a two-monitor setup for years. Just looking for one for my new computer. What did you have in mind?

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I currently use a 27" Eizo monitor for photo editing and an old Dell thingy as a second screen, usually turned off. I concentrate better with only one screen. Or should I say, I concentrate less poorly.

However, I'm looking for a big screen, 4k resolution, mainly for displaying finished images and pixel peeping them as the fancy takes me. At least that was my initial idea - and a 4K TV would serve that purpose just fine. But the more I looked, the more I fancied the idea of 4k resolution (and high DR, accurate colour) for editing with too - so I started looking at 4k colour-calibrated monitors instead. The standout, within budget, is the BenQ SW321C 32" UHD. Expensive (around £1500), but it has all the qualities I want in a main editing screen. Just like the Eizo does, only bigger and with more pixels. Hmmm.

I plan to move the Dell monitor to my macro rail setup, and move the Aputure monitor from there to my Zeiss inverted scope, no matter what - but I'm in a quandary now. Do I go for a reasonably-priced 4K TV or expensive 4k monitor?

I "want" the latter really, but the Eizo may be a "not used much" monitor as a result - which is a shame. I guess I could sell it, but it's got a ding or two - so there's probably more future "value" to me in keeping it anyway. As a decent spare if nothing else. Still pondering, but I suspect I'll go with the Benq in the end.

I've not pressed the button yet though, so still watching the thread with interest...

Edit (5 hours after initial post):
It became inevitable the moment I typed the comment above ("I suspect I'll go...").
I pressed the button. Benq.
Two days to pixel-peeping heaven... :D :D :D

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

My new computer is arriving today. I waited 6 weeks for that puppy. Not a great time to be purchasing a new computer, but I had no choice. Hard to believe I still haven't purchased a monitor. I have a couple of Dell Ultrasharp 27 monitors - UP2716D that I like, and if they're still available, I'll probably snag one of those. I also was looking at an NEC Monitor PA272W-BK 27. I've owned a few NEC's over the years and liked them very much.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Yayy - hope it it all fires up as expected. Are you getting significantly more oomph with this one?

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Beatsy wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:47 am
Yayy - hope it it all fires up as expected. Are you getting significantly more oomph with this one?
This morning I was reading reviews on a few forums about the $Eizo CG279X$ with hood and the NEC MultiSync PA271Q 27. The NEC is much cheaper but a few have had trouble with its calibration based on the comments I've read. Computer-wise, I went with Puget Systems, Intel Core i7 11700K 3.6GHz Eight Core 16MB 125W, based on a friend's experience with their systems.

-JW:

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Smokedaddy wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 am
Beatsy wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:47 am
This morning I was reading reviews on a few forums about the $Eizo CG279X$ with hood and the NEC MultiSync PA271Q 27. The NEC is much cheaper but a few have had trouble with its calibration based on the comments I've read. Computer-wise, I went with Puget Systems, Intel Core i7 11700K 3.6GHz Eight Core 16MB 125W, based on a friend's experience with their systems.
That's the Eizo I have. Great colour and I like the built in calibrator. It did break once though. Just wouldn't power up and sat there with a blinking error light one morning. Give Eizo their due, they turned up 36 hours later with a loaner (same model), set it up and took mine away for repair. That was returned about 3 weeks after that, swapped back in and checked out before taking the loaner away. Worked fine since. I have nothing but praise for customer service and the technical performance of the monitor - that's all great. But it's the only monitor that *ever* went fritz on me - and I've used a lot of monitors. Not sure what to think about that yet. It is only one data point after all. I guess I'll just have to hope I don't collect another data point to extrapolate that not-so-nice trend from. Ignorance is bliss... :D

PC looks a goodun, should rip through stacks quite nicely.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Confirmed. Happiness is 3840 x 2160. A superb monitor.
The Benq on the left (32") , EIZO on the right (2560x1440 -27")
I'll switch them around for normal use - the Benq is on the left for "easy access" during install/test here...
PXL_20210722_144544041--pmn.jpg

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Looks beautiful, congratulations!

I still use a self-calibrating older Eizo, and I like it very much. But that new monitor of yours has me dreaming... But I could never pack such a thing in a suitcase, so it is an impossible dream. That is probably a good thing, for my savings account. I am not noted for my self-control.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Ta Lou. It's been a long-thought-about upgrade/addition, but now I've finally pressed the button I rather feel I waited too long.

I've decided to leave the setup as pictured now, just moving the keyboard in front of the big monitor leaving space on the right for my Intuos tablet. Much easier to use that way.

The only disappointment? Actual 4k video compared to full HD! I can only see the improvement if I pause the video and look closely. When it's running, at any sensible viewing distance, I can't tell the difference between 4k and HD (tired old eyes)! But for stills and pixel peeping - definitely gone next-level there!

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I finally got the monitor and new computer set up. The Puget Systems computer kicks butt. I still need to organize things but that will come with time. I would like to buy an Intuos tablet. Any suggestions (off-line or here is fine)?
Attachments
DSC01788.jpg

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Smokedaddy, I started off with a Wacom Intuos tablet, but found it frustrating. I eventually got a Wacom drawng monitor, which I love-- great for retouching! But clunky unreliable software. Mine is old so maybe the new ones are better.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks, I had the Intuos about 15 years ago. I was looking at this one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... touch.html

-JW:

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, that's a newer version of mine. This version is much better than mine because of its LED-backlight display that has a huge color gamut almost equal tio Adobe RGB (mine is sRGB). This will be a great tool for you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic