Looking for a new monitor

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Re: Looking for a new monitor

Post by Lou Jost »

Reading the reviews, I see comments saying that it can't be mounted vertically. It MUST be mounted vertically. I think a little do it yourself fix should be possible. I built an easy wall mount for mine, and also a nearly vertical desktop mount.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Smokedaddy wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:50 pm
Thanks, I had the Intuos about 15 years ago. I was looking at this one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... touch.html

-JW:
I've used the non-screen Intuos tablets since they were made of stone. The s/w invariably sucks, always did, very clunky. Startup glitches have been present since the beginning too, my tablet often tells me to "touch off" at startup and the driver isn't always recognised or mounted properly. Never been fixed across all the (3) different models I owned. MS blames Intuous. Intuos blame MS. But nobody ever fixes it.

With regard to usefulness - tablets have never been as useful as I thought they would, or think they should be - and are gradually getting even less useful for me.

My only use was (and is) for photo editing and retouching, I don't do free-hand drawing on PC. With the way "making selections" has got so easy, AI finding edges and all, the mouse is enough for those ops these days so I rarely reach for the stylus, except to refine fiddly selections. The tablet works OK-ish as a mouse UI substitute too (touch mode), but not very ergonomic as you're stretched out too far to use it comfortably with a keyboard on the desk too. It takes up too much desk space when not being actively used for photo editing as well. I just use a cheap wireless mouse for most stuff now. Basically, I find the Intuous tablets are a "nice to have" tool for a few, very common, edit operations but I always disliked the product(s) and slowly drifted into using methods that preclude using a tablet very much at all - even though it's still sat there blocking a gert big chunk of my desk space.

I really like the idea/principle of the screen-based ones you're looking at, but there's not enough choice of monitor types and quality for me. It looks very costly in terms of bang for yer buck, too. The ergonomics looks suspicious to me, but that's speculation - I've never even touched one let alone used one for any length of time. I definitely wouldn't want to be using one vertically though. Ouch! Kinda hoping you get one though as I'd be interested to hear how it goes...

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Beatsy, it is sad toi hear that their software has not improved.

I like the vertical position, and it doesn't take up much more desk space than any other vertical monitor. Here is how I set it up on my desk. I can also lift it off from the desk and hang it on my wall so I can draw freehand while standing up. It is similar to the way that I paint, so I find it fairly comfortable. Here is my desk, and the Wacon monitor is on the right.
_1180393.jpg

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Owww! My right shoulder is twanging from just *looking* at that picture!

Standing up I can understand, but drawing on that monitor from that seated position would have me in a world of permanent hurt in no time. I don't think I could even draw accurately with that arrangement anyway.

Not disparaging your choice of course. Clearly it works for you - but I'm surprised you find it comfortable.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Beatsy, I almost always draw and paint on an easel, which is nearly vertical. I guess it depends on what we are used to.
Best,
Lou

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

The reviews and videos I've read/watched were pretty good on these. Much cheaper than the Wacom tablets.

https://store.huion.com/

-JW:

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Sorry, but I am suspicious of these...There are very few reviews on BH Photo, and these are mixed. There was only one review on the Pro 20 model, which gave it a scathing 1-star review complaining about software issues.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ml/reviews

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I have acquaintances who use them for artwork and have liked them. I still use a used Wacom bamboo that I got for 25 bucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic