Bondic® is NOT A GLUE, says the manufacturer

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Bondic® is NOT A GLUE, says the manufacturer

Post by rjlittlefield »

I ran another test today, trying to imagine how this leaf cast technique might be used in the field.

So, in late afternoon I approached my garden with a pair of scissors, a microscope slide, and a tube of Bondic without the LED. I cut a small section of rhubarb leaf, avoiding major veins. Then, working in shade, I squeezed a drop of Bondic on the leaf's lower surface, immediately recapped the Bondic, flipped the leaf and held it against the slide with my thumb, moved to full sun, and kept the pressure on while holding the glass of the slide facing the sun, counting slowly to 60.

Some minutes later I returned to my house, peeled off the bit of leaf, and put the slide under the microscope.

Here is the result:

Perhaps a pad of paper would have been better than the unadorned thumb, but still this looks promising.

--Rik

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Interesting patterns, I've placed an order on one with a local distributor. Time to play with leaves.

I wonder what kind of colours can be acquired with cross polarisation.

lothman

Post by lothman »

I used similar material to get roughness imprints of big/heavy machine parts which cannot be moved under a prifilometer.

For example Kulzer sells such stuff, an UV curing material in different viscoities what does not stick to the surface and can be clipped off after curing.
https://www.kulzer-technik.com/en_kt/kt ... serie.aspx

we compared original with imprint (inverted height data) and are quite happy with the outcome in sub µm-range. Put the material (like cream) on the surface, press a microscope slide on the drop, cure and peel off. Most of the time it adheres better to the glass slide.

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

lothman wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:49 am
I used similar material to get roughness imprints of big/heavy machine parts which cannot be moved under a prifilometer.

For example Kulzer sells such stuff, an UV curing material in different viscoities what does not stick to the surface and can be clipped off after curing.
https://www.kulzer-technik.com/en_kt/kt ... serie.aspx

we compared original with imprint (inverted height data) and are quite happy with the outcome in sub µm-range. Put the material (like cream) on the surface, press a microscope slide on the drop, cure and peel off. Most of the time it adheres better to the glass slide.
I am curious, both how much they charged you for a pot of technovit, and how you did measure that roughness.
--- felix filicis ---

lothman

Post by lothman »

iconoclastica wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:54 am

I am curious, both how much they charged you for a pot of technovit, and how you did measure that roughness.
can tell about the price, I used Kulzer because they have an english hoempage.
Since the material cures hard you can use a diamond tipped stylus or in my case it were optical 2D roughness profilometers (confocal laser scanning microscope from keyence, intereferometer from bruker...)

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

First try = failure.

I used this stuff:
550x563.jpg

It makes bubbles, forms cracks, and doesn't cure, not even after ten minutes with the lens removed.
--- felix filicis ---

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic