Looking for a very small LED with Flash sync

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Antal

Looking for a very small LED with Flash sync

Post by Antal »

Hi,
I often shoot industrial machines and need to place light to impossible places.
I found that small LED cube with the ability to sync to flash trou a built in photoresistance: Lume Cube 2.0. yncs to flash makes sens for the heavily increased battery life time.
It looks perfect, but customer reviews are very bad for battery lifetime (decreasing fast, discharging unused).
Godox has something looking very similar. But according to the local seller without flash sync ability.
Do anyone know another product meeting my needs?
Or would it be easy to change the battery from the Lume cube?

DavyC

Re: Looking for a very small LED with Flash sync

Post by DavyC »

The reported short run times are due to a design/ usage limitation and not the battery. Basically a fully charged battery running at 100% power will be generating a fair bit of heat. To prevent thermal runaway, a protection circuit engages after 30 mins or so to save the cube from self destruct. The Cube powers off. If the battery is below 80% charge, it cannot generate as much power/heat and so the protection circuit will not engage. You can supplement the cube run time further by using an external power bank ( same as used with mobile phones etc ) via usb lead. To prevent the protection circuit kicking in and as with the internal battery, do not connect the power bank until the internal cube battery has below 80% charge. Seems counter intuitive. Normally, you go to a shoot and make sure everything is charged up 100%. With the Cube, make sure its 80%!

Antal

Post by Antal »

Thanks DavyC for your interesting reply.
Your advice will maybe work for some users. I actuallly dont see it as a solution for me: I need equipement I dont need to care about during the shooting. There is already so much to care about during shooting in the industry. So I want to fully focus on my customer and the picture when shooting in industrial enviroment. And not about the charging status of one of the flashs..
Maybe someone knows an other product for me?

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

I can understand the situation you are in. It might be worthwhile giving the cube tech support guys a message, if no other suggestions are forthcoming. Good luck!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic