Coming Soon to Closeuphotography.com June Updates

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Coming Soon to Closeuphotography.com June Updates

Post by RobertOToole »

Just posted this big list on my site and I'm going trying to stick to it {-o<

Do me a favor please, remind me if I get too side-tracked on anything. Posted April and May updates at the bottom. #-o

Also any neat ideas or suggestions post them below.

Right now I'm working on a 1x test with the Laowa and Sigma Art 105 and will be going to a 2x test next.

JUNE

In Process

Laowa 100/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Sony FE mount - Testing now at 1x (loaner)

Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Art lens - Testing now at 1x (loaner)

Nikon LS-3510 AF scanner lens - Testing now (2x test)

Arrived and Queued

Mitutoyo APO HR 5x 0.21 - (loaner)

Mitutoyo QV HR 2.5x 0.21 - (loaner)

Nikon Plan APO 2x 0.10 - (loaner)

Olympus 20/2.0 - arrived (loaner)

Laowa 25/2.8 2.5x-5x Sony FE mount - (loaner)

Rayfact MJ90 4/90 0.05x - 0.5x line scan lens F-mount - (loaner)

Rodenstock Eurygon 4/35 (tested this before but this copy was very cheap)

Rodenstock APO-Rodagon N 2.8/50 (tested this before but this copy was very cheap, sold as a plain Rodagon)

Rodenstock Rodagon 210mm f/5.6 (tube lens)

Rodenstock Rodagon 240mm f5.6 (tube lens)

Sinaron Digital 60mm f4 Lens (could not pass on this lens for the price)

MAY

Finished

Mejiro Genossen FL0530 4.0/110 Float - https://www.closeuphotography.com/mejiro-float-lens

Nikon Rayfact Printing-NIKKOR 95mmF2.8A - https://www.closeuphotography.com/print ... -95mm-test

Nikon Rayfact 2x OFM20119MN - https://www.closeuphotography.com/print ... -95mm-test

In Process

Contax Auto Extension Bellows + Contax Focusing Rail

Nikon Rayfact Printing-NIKKOR 105mmF2.8A - Testing now at 1x

Nikon Rayfact Printing-NIKKOR 105mmF2.8A Custom OEM - turns out this lens was a 95mm Printing-Nikkor! More updates on this lens soon.

Nikon Rayfact 3.5x OFM35162MN - tested against the d.fine lens. Working on a 3,5x lens page now.

Qioptiq Linos Inspec.x L 5.6/105 Float (need to finish)

Arrived and Queued

Nikkor-AM ED 120mm f/5.6S (loaner)

Rodenstock APO-Rodagon-N 4/150 -

Rodenstock Rodagon-G 5.6/240 -

Schneider Makro-Symmar 5.6/180 Custom OEM - made some test images and IQ is amazing!

Schneider APO-Digitar 4/60

Sold

Rodenstock Rodagon 5.6/300

APRIL

Finished

Qioptiq Linos d.fine HR 2.4/128mm Inspection Lens
https://www.closeuphotography.com/dfine-hr-lens

Arrived and queued

Minolta CE ROKKOR 2.8/30

Thanks for looking.

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Re: Coming Soon to Closeuphotography.com June Updates

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Thanks for this great list. Bookmarked so I can go back and check out the links.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:52 am
Thanks for this great list. Bookmarked so I can go back and check out the links.
Thanks Ray. Glad to know at least one person is interested ! :-k :D

I couldnt resist putting that 180mm Makro Symmar 180 on the stand but that big WD and the long extension meant I could only do 0.8x or so on my MM stand, not the 1x it's optimized for, but even then, you know what, it made some beautiful images! Reminded me a lot of a 120 Makro-symmar. I think out in the field the soft bokeh at that long FL is going to make some wonderful images with zero CAs! Schneider put some really nice glass in that MS180!

Chendata has them for only $599 now, a steal really!

Best,

Robert

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

Very cool, looking forward to all the results!
chris

lothman

Post by lothman »

tremendous list Robert =D>

I am curious how you will like the Laowa 100 and 2,5-5x. I think for their price they are real bargains.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

lothman wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:51 am
tremendous list Robert =D>

I am curious how you will like the Laowa 100 and 2,5-5x. I think for their price they are real bargains.
Hi Lothar,

After some testing at 1x, the Laowa is better than I expected, the optical designers did a really fine job, it really is APO corrected!

Thanks to a friend I also have a Sigma Art 105 now and this lens looks unbeatable (consumer market) so the Laowa has a imaging monster for a competitor. So I'm really looking forward to seeing the results. Even if the Laowa is somewhere near the Sigma Art, and it looks like it is, its a big accomplishment for Laowa.

I'm going to try to run a Bokeh test today at 1x, I've done these in the past and they are really helpful and its pretty rare to see a published test.

What really amazes me overall is the image quality that is available today, we've never had anything at the performance level of the Sigma Art and Laowa. Today we have high-end corrected performance at a much lower price point than what Canon, Sony and Nikon consumer lenses have been able to offer.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

What a great set of lenses!!!

I suggest adding the Laowa 2.5-5x to all the relevant magnification tests (say, 3.5x etc) that you will be running.

Also when testing the Sigma 105mm, it would be useful to compare the Sigma 70mm Art lens. When the 105 was launched, Sigma's president claimed that its image quality equaled that of the 70mm. He didn't say it was better. So it would be interesting to compare the two.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Thanks for the tips Lou!

Best,

Robert

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

Lou Jost wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:46 pm
Also when testing the Sigma 105mm, it would be useful to compare the Sigma 70mm Art lens. When the 105 was launched, Sigma's president claimed that its image quality equaled that of the 70mm. He didn't say it was better. So it would be interesting to compare the two.
Hmm, my memory is not what it used to be, but I seem to remember a youtube presentation where a sigma person talked about the 105 being an improvement over the 70.
Actually if you compare the mft curves of the two, the 70mm is a fraction better at the center, but about halfway off center the 105 clearly starts to look better. Far corner is falling off on both of them, so there is where the printing nikkor will beat them clearly (that and distortion)
chris

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I seem to remember a youtube presentation where a sigma person talked about the 105 being an improvement over the 70.
That's the same presentation I am referring to, and my memory is also not what it was. Anyway it seems Robert already has found the answer empirically.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

My prosthetic memory says that the presentation is probably the one at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoMLAvZ9Wbw . Check around 6:36.

It appears in chris_ma's thread at https://photomacrography.net/forum/view ... 4&p=267697 .

--Rik

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

He says "equivalent, or slightly better in the corners"; his mft graphs show the center of the 70mm is slightly better than the center of the 105, and the corners of the 70 are slightly worse than those of the 105. Just like Robert said. The two are very close. I think it is safe to say that the two of them are the best two consumer-grade macro lenses today.

lothman

Post by lothman »

Hi Robert,

is there an update? Your reviews are so valuable that I'm keen on your "to do list" ;-)

regards
Lothar

Medwar

Post by Medwar »

And I as well refresh the "LENS TESTS" page every day, clicking on the two latest items (empty so far) :)

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I'll admit I've been on the edge of my seat for some time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic