Freezing Stage & Controller for AO880 Sliding Microtome

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

myxomop

Freezing Stage & Controller for AO880 Sliding Microtome

Post by myxomop »

Hello PM/AM,

A little while back I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42994&p=270521#p270521

I was able to identify the microtome, but with the chances of finding another like it being slim to none (closer to none), I decided on an American Optical 880 Sliding Microtome instead... two of them, actually, seeing as they were quite affordable, and it never hurts to have a backup.

I'm now onto the more difficult part of the process, in trying to pair one or both of these AO880s with a suitable Physitemp BFS unit. Below is essentially the home setup I'm looking to achieve, which a friend and colleague put together after moving labs.

I found what looked to be a good listing on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254738316726

but when I spoke to a tech at Physitemp, I was told that the stage pictured was built specifically to work with an Erma brand radial microtome, which were no longer in production, nor did Physitemp have the parts any longer to retrofit BFS units to the AO880 model line. Even if they had the parts, it would be a $500-$650 job.

There are a couple other BFS series units for sale on eBay in various degrees of working condition, but with no hoses, cords or stage attachments included:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304005788735
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333330247421

Assuming I get my hands on some fully-functional Physitemp unit, I'm wondering if and how to marry them to my AO880. Also, if neither eBay nor Physitemp have any spare parts for these controllers, where else might I find them? And what are the differences between the various BFS models? Should I consider the older product line(s) that require the use of a water tank? Why or why not?

Many thanks in advance,

-myxomop
MACRO:
Olympus OM-D E-M1X, Olympus M.Zuiko 30mm f/3.5 ED, OM SYSTEM M.Zuiko Digital ED 90mm F3.5 Macro IS PRO, Gitzo GT2540EX Tripod, Acratech GV2 Ballhead, 2x Ulanzi VL49 Rechargeable Mini LED Lights, Ulanzi LED Full-Color Photography Light Wand

MICRO:
Trinocular Olympus BHS, SPlan 4x, 10x, 20x, 40x (1.25 N.A.), SPlanApo 100x Oil (1.4 N.A.), BH2-AAC Aplanatic-Achromatic 1.4 N.A Brightfield Condenser, WHK 10x 20 L Eyepieces, NFK 2.5× LD 125 Photo Eyepiece, Diagnostic Instruments PA1-10A SLR Camera Adapter, Canon 6D

myxomop

Re: Freezing Stage & Controller for AO880 Sliding Microtome

Post by myxomop »

I've answered a number of my own questions.

This listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254738316726

is still at the top of my list, for a few reasons, chief among them being the inclusion of a stage. New stages are around/upwards of $1500 from Physitemp. The post is a relatively easy/inexpensive thing to swap out for a different diameter one. Physitemp also tells me that my AO880 will only work with the 3 or 5 models of BFS/TC/MP units.

While I'd hoped to be able to hook my controller directly up to a faucet, it looks like I'll have to rely on a pump and tank unit instead. It's a shame that the benefit of the compactness of the MP-5 is essentially canceled out by the hulking size of the PTU-3. The Physitemp rep alerted me to a newer, significantly smaller unit that would suffice for my purposes, the HE-1, but it's $675 (not incl. tax or shipping), and I cannot find it used anywhere. It should be plenty possible to cobble together a DIY equivalent, which only needs to ensure a flow rate of 1000ml per minute, and when the hose is laid horizontally over a sink basin, should emit a straight, 3-inch stream before losing altitude. Never built anything like this before, but I can't imagine it will be all that difficult. I'll use DI water to cut down on the chance of any mineral buildup, perhaps thereby eliminating the need for a filter, and as long as the water is room temperature, the tank needn't have any heating/cooling elements of its own.

Input still as welcome as always, but regardless I'll just continue to document this build as it progresses, for posterity if nothing else.

-myxomop
MACRO:
Olympus OM-D E-M1X, Olympus M.Zuiko 30mm f/3.5 ED, OM SYSTEM M.Zuiko Digital ED 90mm F3.5 Macro IS PRO, Gitzo GT2540EX Tripod, Acratech GV2 Ballhead, 2x Ulanzi VL49 Rechargeable Mini LED Lights, Ulanzi LED Full-Color Photography Light Wand

MICRO:
Trinocular Olympus BHS, SPlan 4x, 10x, 20x, 40x (1.25 N.A.), SPlanApo 100x Oil (1.4 N.A.), BH2-AAC Aplanatic-Achromatic 1.4 N.A Brightfield Condenser, WHK 10x 20 L Eyepieces, NFK 2.5× LD 125 Photo Eyepiece, Diagnostic Instruments PA1-10A SLR Camera Adapter, Canon 6D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic