putting a tripod ball head on a 4-way macro rail

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macron

putting a tripod ball head on a 4-way macro rail

Post by Macron »

i have this tripod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C1PXQVS?ps ... ct_details

i have The Neewer-Pro-4-Way-Macro-Focusing-Focus-Rail-Slider and i took off the ball head off the tripod and want to put it on the Neewer-Pro-4-Way-Macro-Focusing-Focus-Rail-Slider

the tripod insert screw thread is larger then the screw on the 4 way macro rail i think it maybe 3/8
what adapter would i need to get?

i was thinking a quick release on the bottom of the ball head then put that on the 4 way macro rail but don't know what I would need to do to make it work?

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: putting a tripod ball head on a 4-way macro rail

Post by Chris S. »

Macron,

There are two screw threads used among tripods and accessories: 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16. Reading your post, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "tripod insert screw thread," but clearly you are looking to convert one of these thread sizes to the other. You can start by looking at items such as these:

Standard 1/4"-20 Female to 3/8"-16 Male Screw Adapter Reducer Bushing Converter

or

1/4 Male to 3/8 Male Threaded Camera Tripod Screw Adapter Converter.

I've no experience with those specific offerings, but looking at them should get you into the neighborhood of what you're looking for.

If I were in your shoes, I'd likely put the ballhead back on the tripod, mount the Neewer slider on the ballhead, mount an Arca style quick release clamp on the slider, and mount the camera on that clamp with an Arca style L-bracket. You can try putting an Arca style plate and clamp under the ballhead as you propose, but I'm not optimistic that you'll like the solidity of that arrangement. This said, trying is how one gets a feel for these things, so try away.

If you put the ballhead on the slider as described, my sense is that it will be hard to get the slider into position. Also, the slider will no longer have an axis aligned with your optical axis to use for focus stacking. But if you intend to stack focus with by changing the focus point of your lens, you won't need this. And here again, this may be something you want to experiment with for yourself.

I hope you'll be delighted with your tripod, ballhead, and slider. But don't be surprised if you eventually seek upgrades. My experience--some years old at present--involves spending spending roughly ten times what you did to get solid components to do similar things.

--Chris S.

Macron

Post by Macron »

When I said (tripod insert screw thread) I think I meant (BALLHEAD insert screw thread meaning female).

Reason for the ball head is the (tilt or rotate) to tilt the camera down to take pictures. I like to move the object in range of focus then do the main focus from the slider.

Thanks for the link. I bought both--it does look like what I want. Thanks.

Here is a shot with a tilt down from the tripod, but I have the tripod in my macro cage which is hard to use. So if I can tilt from the camera, it will be way easier.

Macron

Post by Macron »

thanks just what i wanted

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic