Equipment advice needed for a story about the invisible world

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Perfekto

Re: Equipment advice needed for a story about the invisible world

Post by Perfekto »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:09 am
Viktor's advice is very good. I would only add that it is often better ( and sometimes cheaper) to buy a used microscope WITHOUT objectives, and then buy the objectives you actually want rather than the objectives that the last owner wanted to get rid of.
Thanks for that. Yes I was wondering about that too, as that's what I do with my normal camera stuff. It must be pretty rare to find a microscope without any objectives though no ? :o
The film I'm currently working on : Mikro, the Aliens from Earth (snippets at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC71Ry ... XEVIzw-llA )

Perfekto

Post by Perfekto »

In conclusion, thank you very much for these valuable advice. I now understand a bit better what my next steps should be.
I am still completely illiterate about how to evaluate if a microscope, a lens, or a camera adapter are a good deal, so I will probably come back and ask you for buying advice once I find something potentially buyable in my area !
Merci 🙏🏻
The film I'm currently working on : Mikro, the Aliens from Earth (snippets at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC71Ry ... XEVIzw-llA )

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Perfekto wrote: Hello Viktor and thank you very very much for putting into words these extremely useful notions for me. I am copying everything you said in my google work document. I think you just gave me really solid leads to explore and start making progress in various aspects. And yes I am well aware that as with most arts, equipment is a small part of it, I have a lot to figure out. :shock:
Did you already know these artists I listed? It seemed like you do !
Glad it was useful to you! Another thing to read about is Litonotus' GUF filter, it shows the kind of nice effects you can get with simple methods:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15142

I had seen some of Craig Smith's videos before, but I greatly admire Marek Mis's work. He has a very distinct style.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It must be pretty rare to find a microscope without any objectives though no ?
On eBay it is very common to find them without objectives, and very cheap. I bought my two microscopes on eBay for less than $100 each. Shipping i nternationally, though, wouyld be very expensive because they are heavy. I hand-carried mine from the US to Ecuador where I live.

At least one of the people you mentioned, Marek, is a regular on this forum. Have you searched on his name here? As I mentioned earlier, most people who post here give infomation about the equipment they use (though Marek often does not).

And again, it seems as though you might not have read the Frequently Asked Questions section that I linked to earlier. I urge you to learn those basic things before going further.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

You might want to browse the microbehunter forums as well, since that forum is more focused on traditional microscopy in transmitted light.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic