Is it some kind of microscope?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

seta666

Re: Is it some kind of microscope?

Post by seta666 »

I did never send any entries because I thought I needed and actual microscope to participate. This is the first year I sent some images, old and new

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Javier,
This is the first year I sent some images
for me too :-)
Best, ADi

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I assume one of the main reasons Nikon went with their CF system was so their objectives would be easy to incorporate into OEM equipment. There's a reason those popular 20x apo OEM objectives are Nikons and not Zeisses, and it isn't just the price (though probably the price too). These guys are no strangers to customized microscopes.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I think that photographers who use home-made microscopes are entirely correct in submitting their best images to the Nikon Small World Competition. In fact, if a current official of the Nikon Small World competition were to suddenly declare these submissions invalid, such a declaration would be against precedent, capricious, would would render invalid nearly every recent year's decisions. It would be widely challenged, and in all likelihood, be quickly and embarrassingly reversed.

Let's keep in mind that several years ago, as member of this forum's admin team, I officially asked if such images were admissible. Our forum has obvious and direct standing in this question. I received an affirmative, enthusiastic answer from an appropriate official of Nikon Small World, and published this answer in our forum. Nikon Small World, aware of this publication of their response, made no attempt to back away from this reported answer. In fact, they issued words of encouragement.

Further, a careful look at award winners, honorable mentions, and images of distinction, over past years in the Nikon Small World competition, shows a knowledgeable viewer that a large fraction of images honored by Nikon could only have been made with home made microscopes. This knowledge is enhanced among members of our forum who know the particular honorees and their photographic methods.

The folks at Nikon Small World are nice people. They are interested in having a robust competition that annually raises the bar on the photography of small things.

These folks have zero interest in moving the photography of small things backward by changing the rules expressed to our forum several years ago. Much as we have a desire to push forward the photography of small things, so must they.

So good luck, please continue to enter images from home made microscopes, and do so in good faith that your entries are made in good faith. It may also be fair to feel good that our forum took a role in clarifying this point.

--Chris S.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Most importantly, win or lose they send you a beautiful calendar.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Yes, the calendar is really great :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic