How Stupid Can Someone be? How about you?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Re: How Stupid Can Someone be? How about you?

Post by RobertOToole »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:12 pm
I don't know why its advisable to check for the presence of antibodies after the vaccine. We don't do that for other vaccines. Is there a possibility that it would come out negative?
To quote my MD friend " to make sure it worked" but here are some quick facts I learned today (from Quest Diagnostics link included prev.).

SARS-CoV-2 antibody testing can be used to:

-Identify SARS-CoV-2-infected persons with negative results on nucleic acid amplification (NAAT)/PCR tests, especially patients who present late with RNA levels below the detection limit of a NAAT/PCR assay, or when respiratory tract sampling is not possible
-Identify individuals who have been infected with SARS-CoV-2 and have mounted an immune response
-Identify individuals who may have an immune response to a recent or prior infection, or a potential immune response to a spike-targeted vaccination
-Assess how many people have been infected with SARS-CoV-2 in a population by identifying individuals who have developed antibodies to the virus
-Possibly help identify individuals who may be able to donate convalescent plasma as a possible treatment for those who are seriously ill from COVID-19

The presence of IgG or IgM antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 indicates that the patient has mounted an immune response to the virus. Although the immune response may protect against reinfection, this has yet to be conclusively established.

mRNA-1273 (Moderna TX, Inc): vaccine composed of synthetic mRNA encapsulated in Lipid nanoparticle (LNP) which codes for the full-length, pre-fusion stabilized spike protein (S) of SARS-CoV-2.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I figured. But how do people think that sounds to the general populace? I am sure many people in the U.S. especially know many people who are very skeptical about these vaccines already. So if there was now the widespread advisement: "Oh, and after your vaccine you should also have this test done to make sure it worked". That could very easily play into their skepticism about getting the shots in the first place.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:10 pm
I figured. But how do people think that sounds to the general populace? I am sure many people in the U.S. especially know many people who are very skeptical about these vaccines already. So if there was now the widespread advisement: "Oh, and after your vaccine you should also have this test done to make sure it worked". That could very easily play into their skepticism about getting the shots in the first place.
Hi Mark,

The guy that told me that is a doctor but also a close personal friend and does the same to me, when one of his friends tell him something about photography or photo equipment he usually asks me later about it to confirm. Sometimes my reply is in direct opposition to what his camera club friends tell him. I always like to hear second medical opinion on everything, sometimes even a third.

Shouldn't have kept my answer more on topic though so I'll remember that in the future...#-o

Best,

Robert

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I think its fine to drift from topics. That is what these sites can be for, imo.
Cheers! :D
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic