Lens Tests Coming Soon

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Lens Tests Coming Soon

Post by RobertOToole »

_PM-new-Full-stacked-Qioptiq-LINOS-inspec.x-L-105mm-float-0.3-3x-Line-Scan-Lens-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg
My office has just set an all-time record of new arrivals. April looks like the busiest month in the history of my site, and in my life!

Each of these items will be tested and the results posted here and on my site https://www.closeuphotography.com/

Mejiro Genossen FL0530 4.0/110 Float lens x 2 units (shipped)

Nikkor-AM ED 120mm f/5.6S (in the office)

Nikon Rayfact Printing-NIKKOR 95mmF2.8A (in the office)

Nikon Rayfact Printing-NIKKOR 105mmF2.8A (shipped)

Nikon Rayfact Printing-NIKKOR 105mmF2.8A Custom OEM (shipped)

Nikon Rayfact 3.5x OFM35162MN (in the office)

Nikon Rayfact 2x OFM20119MN x 2 units (in the office)

Qioptiq Linos Inspec.x L 5.6/105 Float (in the office)

Rodenstock APO-Rodagon-N 4/150 x 3 units (in the office)

Rodenstock Rodagon 5.6/200 (in the office)

Rodenstock Rodagon-G 5.6/240 (in the office)

Schneider Makro-Symmar 5.6/180 Custom OEM (in the office)

Schneider APO-Digitar 4/60 (in the office)

Contax Auto Extension Bellows + Contax Focusing Rail - conversion to SM2 (in the office)

Any experience with any of the above you would care to share or links, info, experiences, or PDFs would be appreciated! :D
Anything to help, this is a huge load of work to undertake.

Questions or comments leave them below or PM me.

Thanks !

Lou Jost

Re: Lens Tests Coming Soon

Post by Lou Jost »

Wow, you are going to be busy! But with such amazing lenses you won't be able toi sleep until you get them all done.

I've been particularly curious about the Nikon AM-ED as a tube lens.

It would be interesting to check some of these terribly expensive lenses against cheaper and potentially faster lens combos.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:35 pm
Wow, you are going to be busy! But with such amazing lenses you won't be able toi sleep until you get them all done.

I've been particularly curious about the Nikon AM-ED as a tube lens.

It would be interesting to check some of these terribly expensive lenses against cheaper and potentially faster lens combos.
Hi Lou,

Will be sure to test the Nikkor-AM ED as tube lens, also at 1x against the Makro-Symmar 120. Its a beautiful lens that fits a copal 0, thats the same size as the longer Componons.

Agree about the combos, maybe the APO-Componon HM 4.5/90 + Makro-Symmar HM 5.6/180 vs Rayfact 2x. Wait thats not cheaper, Sigma 50mm + Sigma 105 or Sigma 70 + Sigma 150 for 2x, thats cheaper and should be a super combo!

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The Sigma 70 might have trouble reversed because of its recessed lens and the fragile-seeming front assembly that moves when focusing. Still, it would be worth a try!

I'm trying a crazy combo now as I write...will report if it amounts to anything.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:26 pm
I'm trying a crazy combo now as I write...will report if it amounts to anything.
I'd also be interested to hear about it if it doesn't amount to much - always useful to hear what does and doesn't work.

Bakwetu

Post by Bakwetu »

About the Sigma art 70mm, I have tried that with extension rings to get some higher magnification, but he result is not very good. The image will still be very sharp in the middle, but a large part of the image (in full format) will be severly blurry.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

About the Sigma art 70mm, I have tried that with extension rings to get some higher magnification, but the result is not very good. The image will still be very sharp in the middle, but a large part of the image (in full format) will be severly blurry.
For modern floating-element lenses, you should always use a teleconverter instead of tubes. That's a general rule. It leaves the floating elements in the right place for the subject it is focused on. They won't be in the right place when you use extension tubes. Always best to use lenses as they were designed to be used. Lots of macro rules and observations reduce to this one rule, the "Golden Rule" of photography.
Last edited by Lou Jost on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'd also be interested to hear about it if it doesn't amount to much - always useful to hear what does and doesn't work.
Dick, it has worked extremely well. -150mm Oly f/2.0 Four Thirds lens + 400mm Nikon f/5.6 ED IF lens. I'll post it shortly. Not cheap, but it illustrates what I think is a general point: Four-Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses are generally better when reversed than 35mm lenses, because they have to resolve almost double the line pairs per millimeter on the sensor (which becomes the object plane when reversed) compared to 35mm lenses. And Four Thirds lenses are better than Micro Four Thirds lenses because they have a much longer flange distance and are telecentric when reversed. Unfortunately there are very few models of Four Thirds lenses.

The Oly 150mm f/2.0 lens is one of the most amazing consumer lenses I have ever seen. It is sharp in the corners even wide open and shows virtually no CA. I bought it for normal and tube-lens use several years ago, but this is the first time I tried it reversed.

Another pretty good one (though with LoCA) is the Oly f/2.0 Four Thirds 50mm macro.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Lou, that sounds like an interesting setup. Perhaps a bit cumbersome for field use, but combinations of longer focal length lenses may work well. Maybe a Sigma 150/2.8 reversed onto a 300/2.8. I should really test some of the more exotic optics in my collection for combined use, my Bronica Zenzanon PS 500/8 fluorite lens may make a good tube lens..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic