Mejiro Genossen Fl0530 4.0/110mm 0.5x-3x macro lens On eBay

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Doppler9000

Mejiro Genossen Fl0530 4.0/110mm 0.5x-3x macro lens On eBay

Post by Doppler9000 »

Another variable magnification option. F/4, so it has a potential advantage over the Macro Varon.

Any thoughts?

One sold very quickly.

ray_parkhurst

Re: Mejiro Genossen Fl0530 4.0/110mm 0.5x-3x macro lens On eBay

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I was not aware Mejiro made such a float lens. Here's their page showing specs:

https://www.genossen.co.jp/en/top-96-product83

They also have a FL1030, optimized from 1x...3x and with f2.5 max.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Dolmadis, watch out for those. The front and back rings have clearly been opened, and very crudely. Surely a high-quality lens like this cannot be opened and put back together by such rough-handed clods without ruining it. Look at the bare metal scratches around that ring...they look very deep.

The seller (whom I have bought from before) is in this case being quite dishonest about the condition of these, with no mention of these deep scars: "This lens is in very good condition."

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

I've bought several lenses from this seller and always had great service and excellent packaging.

but I agree with Lou, that one has to wonder where those scratches come from - looks like somebody opened the lens and was rather crude at that, either having the wrong tools or the lens was completely stuck, so I'd be worried them doing the job right.

plus, the only reason that I can think of is to clean the inside, which is not great news either.
chris

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

This is the slower version of the float lens, they make a f/2.5 faster 1-3x but this version has a wider mag range, Ray mentions this.

FWIW, I've contacted Mejiro maybe 5 times in the last 3 years, zero interest even answering one question. Useless customer service staff. I would like to know what happens when you ask for some support for a lens #-o {-X

Even Rayfact answers questions at least! Mejiro is years and worlds away from someone like https://schneiderkreuznach.com/ with world-class customer service!

Also FYI, I tested an earlier version of the Mejiro 0.5x - 3x 4/110 lens for my Rayfact VF test:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/nikon ... -lens-test

_PM-Mejiro-Float-andVF-.jpg
Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Forgot to mention this but Mejiro was a Japanese lens/lighting manufacturer located in Tokyo with products targeting industrial use. They were purchased by Taiwanese corporation a couple of years ago.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 am
Dolmadis, watch out for those. The front and back rings have clearly been opened, and very crudely. Surely a high-quality lens like this cannot be opened and put back together by such rough-handed clods without ruining it. Look at the bare metal scratches around that ring...they look very deep.

The seller (whom I have bought from before) is in this case being quite dishonest about the condition of these, with no mention of these deep scars: "This lens is in very good condition."

Cleaning lenses is quite common in China, MacroCosmos has mentioned this before I think. They don't look that bad, at least I've seen worse for sure. :D

Mejiro makes really nice optics, I hope they haven't been "serviced" :-k

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, it is very common. I argued with someone on the forum about this once--- I regard it as a huge red flag, though others seemed less concerned. Just look at the natural variability of lenses of a given type. They vary a lot, enough to make some copies unusable, even straight from the factory with everything as perfect as possible in the production line. Taking out lens elements and putting them back in will result in even more variation. There's no way that can be done precisely. Always the first thing I look at in an eBay listing is the front element retainer ring. If paint has worn from the edge of the slots (and many Japanese copies do have these marks), I stay away, no matter how good the rest of the lens seems. In fact, I prefer a lens with crappy cosmetics everywhere else versus a lens that is mint except for worn front retainer slots. Likewise I pass on any lens that has been "cleaned and serviced".

And I have rarely or never seen such a rough job as these poor Mejiro lenses have suffered.

JKT

Post by JKT »

Seems to me that there's nothing wrong with them. It looks more like some odd mechanical part sticking out equally at each slot location. Maybe to keep the retainer in place?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Hmm, maybe you are right, they could be aluminum foil shims right next to the retaining ring slots. However, even ignoring those big silvery things (which are what originally caught my attention), the slots still show paint wear indicating the lenses have been opened.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

JKT wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:17 pm
Seems to me that there's nothing wrong with them. It looks more like some odd mechanical part sticking out equally at each slot location. Maybe to keep the retainer in place?
I see a brass colored shim and some glue on the front retainer. Don't see any odd parts sticking out, even with my glasses :shock:

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Just out of curiosity. Outside of some of the folks on this forum, what type of people represents the market for these second hand high-end line scan lenses?
For example, I see that chendata has sold a bunch of Macro Vanor 85mm F4.5 lenses for $2000. I realize that that is cheap compared to the cost when new, but it is still a lot of money for a highly niched piece of equipment. Where do you think that they end up? Based on how easy they seem to sell for that kind of money, it almost seem to me that they are going back into industry? Or are there other hobbyist uses that I lack knowledge about?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:42 pm
Just out of curiosity. Outside of some of the folks on this forum, what type of people represents the market for these second hand high-end line scan lenses?
For example, I see that chendata has sold a bunch of Macro Vanor 85mm F4.5 lenses for $2000. I realize that that is cheap compared to the cost when new, but it is still a lot of money for a highly niched piece of equipment. Where do you think that they end up? Based on how easy they seem to sell for that kind of money, it almost seem to me that they are going back into industry? Or are there other hobbyist uses that I lack knowledge about?
Hobbyists and collectors. I must know close to 10 people with MacroVaron lenses.

$2000 is not cheap, but true that it is compared to buying new from an SK distributor!

Best,

Robert

Sym P. le

Post by Sym P. le »

The "markings" astride the slots on both the inner and outer retaining rings oddly extend in the same direction on either side of the lens. This is counter to the suggestion that someone crudely opening the lens had the tool slip out of the slots. Even so, the site of such a presentation is halting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic