Raynox 150 or Marumi +5

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Luke2

Raynox 150 or Marumi +5

Post by Luke2 »

After hours of educational reading on this site and other macro sites, I went to the local camera store today ( shop small businesses when I can) to buy one. The owner said I needed the Marumi or a Teffen kit.

Since I had done the research, I declined his lens suggestion and his advice that I really needed a Tamron 90mm to take good pictures with a nice DOF. I am not so sure reading the posts here.

Was he trying to steer me in the right direction about close up lenses? Tamron lens is way out of my budget to dabble in closeups of flowers.

RobertOToole

Re: Raynox 150 or Marumi +5

Post by RobertOToole »

What is the main lens you are planning to use with the Diopter?

Also the Tamron macro 90 isn't a bad lens at all, you can pick them up for nice prices on eBay. I've owned one and sold it for $200.

Also where are you located?

The best place to find Raynox is a local classified ad site or eBay. I've seen them for as low as $20.

https://offerup.com/

There is a DCR-250 on there now for $35+$3 shipping.

Best,

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

DelRay FL!

(you cant see the location when you are in post a reply mode).

Luke2

Post by Luke2 »

I have never shopped on eBay. Looks like it is time to start with the prices you gave.

I plan to try it initially in the kit 18-55mm lens set at 55mmand manual.

In West Delray Fl with the Everglades at my back door. Plenty to photography while social distancing.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Optically, you really can't go wrong with a 90 mm Tamron or 105 mm Sigma macro lens.

Longer focal length allows a longer working distance. You really want to get some respectful distance between yourself and the Everglades wildlife :D

Luke2

Post by Luke2 »

So I will pass on the Raynox 150 and put the $70 towards a macro lens ( Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm) I guess. Thanks for the responses.

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

with flowers it often is about the out of focus areas (ie bokeh) as the in focus, depending on taste.

if we're talking 2-4 inches wide, there's tons of lenses that will also perform nicely with a cheap extension tube.
but a tamron 90mm macro certainly is one of the good options with a lot of different uses.
chris

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Just to insert in here: The Tamron is an excellent choice for a true macro lens, and it can cost way less than a major brand-name macro while being of very similar optical quality. So I think the dealer was trying to steer you right, recognizing the budget consideration.
Kit lenses can be of lower quality (although some are quite good). A low-ish quality kit lens with a Raynox on it will give you the mag you need to photograph flowers, and maybe you will be happy with it, but if the primary lens is not very sharp then its flaws will become noticeable with the Raynox attached to it.
I started with a 50mm on extension tubes. That was actually a pretty good set, and I was very happy with it. But then I finally coughed up the dough for a true macro lens and was instantly 'educated' in how much sharper a true macro really is.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

To be honest, camera shops push what they have in stock.

A Tamron 90 is a good deal used, but new, they are newer designs with much better image quality than the Tamron.

Example? New at BH Photo the Sigma Art 70 is about $100 cheaper than the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD Lens. The Art lens has better CA correction and is sharper, better IQ all around than the Tamron.

Used its a different story.

The Tamron 90s were sold in huge numbers so you can pick up a clean copy for $100-200 easily. The Sigma's are hard to find for less than $300 used, some are selling for close to new prices.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Just realized some guy named Robert :D :shock: tested the Sigma 70 Art and the Tamron SP 90 together at 1x with about 15 other lenses on an A7R4.

In the test results the Sigma 70 had almost no drop off center to corner. The Tamron, at least the SP model, had softer corners, center was nice.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/1x-test-2020

__1X-lens-lineup-test-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg

FTI, from the 1x test:

FINAL RESULTS: BEST IMAGE QUALITY AT 1X
1 - Nikon Printing-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 A

2 - Nikon Scanner-Nikkor ED 100mm Scanner Lens

3 - Sigma Art 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Lens

4 - Schneider Kreuznach Macro Varon CAS 85mm f/4.5

5 - Mejiro Etendue OTH100 90mm f/5.6 line scan lens

6 - Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x Macro Lens

THE WORST PERFORMERS AT 1X
Worst Overall Performance: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM Lens and Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G Oss Macro Lens. Glad I chose to rent, and not buy these two lenses for this test, the Sigma 70 Art is half the price of these lenses and out performs both.

Disappointing at 1x:
Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 SP Di macro lens: Image quality drop-off in the corners and some lateral CAs. Skip Tamrons since Sigma Art lens is available for the same price.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Also, the Sigma that this guy Robert :wink: tested was an old version, and the new Art version is even better, the best consumer macro lens that either he or I have tested so far. Highly recommended. Better than a multi-thousand-dollar Macro-Varon!!!

If your camera allows it, the Sigma lens can do automatic focus-stacking. The L-mount Sigma Art lens does this with the Panasonic S-series FF cameras, for example.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic