Sony A7riv + 35mm f/1.4 G-Master for macro?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Sony A7riv + 35mm f/1.4 G-Master for macro?

Post by Beatsy »

No, not really - not without extension rings, anyway (which I've yet to test). But boy, does it support heavy cropping with astonishing levels of sharpness and resolution. It's ideal for environment and overview shots in the context of macro field trips - and one of the main uses I bought it for (arrived yesterday). I'll be using it for a lot of stuff in other genres too, but I'm particularly pleased how well it supports my main use case of zoom-by-cropping (aka a weak justification for GAS).

Attached is "macro" or "near macro" 100% crop from a 4-shot pixel-shift image (also attached). Shot at 35mm, f/5.6, 1/25th, ISO100 - 61 megapixel output. The camera was sat on a stack of books and triggered with a remote.

Kinda wishing I'd never used this 4-shot thing though. Fine detail in debayered RAW images suddenly looks awful at pixel level. Ugh! A novel cure for pixel peeping, perhaps, but not fun. Ignorance truly WAS bliss... :(
GM35MFD100PCT.jpg
GM35MFD.jpg
Note: no sharpening was applied to these images, only exposure and levels adjustments. The Sony software for combining the pixel-shifted shots may apply some sharpening of it's own, but I don't know if it does or not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic