Mitutoyo 2,5X QV Microscope Objective for macro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pawelfoto

Mitutoyo 2,5X QV Microscope Objective for macro

Post by pawelfoto »

I am a beginner looking for advice. How does the Mitutoyo 2.5X QV microscope objective compare to the "classic" Mitutoyo Plan Apo? Is it the same quality in macro photography? The price of a new one in Europe is 600 € (about 700 $). The descriptions say: “The 2.5X QV series can be scaled up to 6X by using it with a 215mm tube or up to 5X with a 170mm tube! So you get the same magnification as the Mitutoyo 5X APO PLAN M with the same sharpness! As it is an infinite microscope objective, we recommend using a tube system with the Raynox DCR-150. New and original Mitutoyo 2.5X QV microscope objective with a comfortable working distance for macro photography. Mitutoyo lenses are well-known among photographers for sharp photos right through to curves and excellent CA control. ". Is it true? I don't want to make a costly mistake. (Now I'm using Nikon10x with Raynox. I'm looking for something better than the regular AmScope 4X PlanApo).

seta666

Re: Mitutoyo 2,5X QV Microscope Objective for macro

Post by seta666 »

What camera are you using? APS-C or FF?

The mitutoyo M Plan APO 5/0.14 works well from 3.1X (Raynox DCR-250) to 6x (DCR-150 pushed up a little bit), then 10/0.28 from 6.25 to 11X, the 20 from 12.5X to 21X . From 20X up I use nikon lenses but would not mind a mitu 50, maybe one day.

I would get the 5, then the 10, and when you feel confident enough, the 20, if you really feel prepared to take this route; I would not recommend a beginner to get mitutoyos. They are very delicate and sensitive to misuse, I did break one just by slightly turning the front element with a light diffuser that was too tight; however nikon bd plans are little rocks you can throw away and would still work well; I also recommend them and still use them but not so often, that is true.

You say you are a beginner, lighting technique is even more important than the lens as is preparing the subject; without mastering these two no matter what lens you own, results will not be satisfying. Once you master both then the limiting factor becomes the gear.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I need to test them head to head, but my QV 1x visually seems identical to my M Plan Apo 2x. I only got the 2x because I couldn't bet the spacer off of the QV objective which made it non parfocal.
Edit: tested and they seem to perform identically.
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pawelfoto

Post by pawelfoto »

Thanks for the advice. I use both the FF canon 5d mark IV and the APSC canon 70d. The main question is to buy the Mitu 2.5 QV, or rather it is worth to add an extra $ 250 for the Mitu 5x Apo Plan? The Mitu 2.5 QV seems theoretically more flexible, giving you the option of 2.5-6x magnification for less cost. But what abouth quality?

seta666

Post by seta666 »

I have no experience with QV lenses but probably image circle is smaller than in the M plan APOs, with infinity lenses you change magnification by changing the tube lens. With a 40mm tube lens the mitutoyo M plan 5/0.14 would work at 1x, but image circle would probably be small even for 1" sensors

All my mitutoyos are second hand and they all perform well, do not buy the older ones with reference number ending in -2, their optical design is different and performance slightly worse. Never buy a mitutoyo with defects on glas, no matter how small; 300€ should buy you a good performing one.

To se if the mitutoyos are ok just test them against the Amscope 4x and nikon 10x, if they perform worse they are damaged; and believe me, just the slightest rotation of one element will make them perform worse. If they perform very well the smile in your face will be all you need to confirm it.

Mitutoyo M plan APO line works very well and produce very clean stacks, I would not buy higher NA lenses between 5 and 20X even if they were available at the same price, working with high NA lenses and very deep subjects is a nightmare, a retouching nightmare. I only use high NA objectives with flat subjects like butterfly wings with the nikon BD 40/0.65

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

pawelfoto wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:49 am
Thanks for the advice. I use both the FF canon 5d mark IV and the APSC canon 70d. The main question is to buy the Mitu 2.5 QV, or rather it is worth to add an extra $ 250 for the Mitu 5x Apo Plan? The Mitu 2.5 QV seems theoretically more flexible, giving you the option of 2.5-6x magnification for less cost. But what abouth quality?
Some additional info that might help you decide.

Quote from my post, linked below, the sensor size of the QV system should give you a good indication of the image circle the system was designed around.

"This was a disappointment. The QV uses a 1/2 inch sensor CCD camera, so the sensor diagonal and the IC is only 8mm! #-o I was hoping the tube lenses or beamsplitter might be useful, that is until I saw the sensor. :shock:"

QV-Sensor-www-closeuphotography-com.jpeg

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 25&t=42949&

I sold the two QV objectives that I owned but I would like to try an HR QV objective some day.

There is an online vendor that I can recommend that is selling new in-the-box Mitutoyo M Plan 5x for $420. That should make it easier for you. Message me if you want more info.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I used to ignore my QV 2.5x but I now use it on my MFT camera with a Panasonic 45mm -175mm zoom, and it works great at the long end of the zoom range. This zoom lens does not change length when focusing or zooming, so I can use it to do focus stacking with the QV. A stack can be captured very quickly this way, and since no rail is needed, I can easily take this into the field with me to do stacking in situ. This is really fun.

I have no doubt that the Mitu 5x would do just as well.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Lou,

Yes, I have been taking photographs for years using Mitu5x,
EF100L, crop-camera and focus-bracketing.

This is really fun and gives super results.

Best,
ADi

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

You might enjoy trying a zoom tube lens, Adalbert, especially on a crop-sensor camera. The ability to make small changes in the FOV is very useful (though of course you won't be able to use the full zoom range). And I just learned today that some zooms have better center quality than the best primes; on a crop sensor you would reap the advantages of that.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/0 ... e-curtain/

See last graph.

Ah, but there would be a disadvantage too. Your macro lens has a long focus throw, and that is really important when doing focus stacking, though one forum user is able to stack multiple stacks to make up for this.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Lou,
I use Canon EF70-200L f4 IS USM but only at 200mm
and I have already tried zooming but at 130 it starts to vignette
and at 70mm is really bad.
Best,
ADi

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hello, I work with an APSC camera (fujifilm x-T1) and I am very happy with my QV2.5x. It is not advisable for full frame (vignetting).

It must be taken into account that it has an NA of 0.14, the same as the Plan Apo 5X, therefore, and if I am not mistaken, they have a similar resolution.
Therefore, using different tube lenses, you can work in magnification ranging from 2.5x to 5x (I have never used it at 5x).

But it is also telecentric, very useful for Stacking & Stitching.

I attach some images taken with this lens at 2.5x.

Prosopocoilus detalle ojo.jpg
full image https://www.easyzoom.com/imageaccess/4f ... 08cf0d462d

Eupholus QV2,5X  detalle antena.jpg
full image https://www.easyzoom.com/imageaccess/b5 ... 883f622175

best regards
Ramón Dolz

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

"I use Canon EF70-200L f4 IS USM but only at 200mm
and I have already tried zooming but at 130 it starts to vignette"

That's actually great! This gives you lots of useful flexibility for composing and framing. And as a bonus, all the settings less than 200mm will have higher image resolution than the ones taken at 200mm.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic