Laowa 2x problem: forced crop mode on RF mount

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ichthyophthirius

Laowa 2x problem: forced crop mode on RF mount

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

I'm testing a Laowa 2x macro lens (EF version with automatic aperture) on my Canon RP camera (corrected through an automatic EF-RF adapter).

The lens enforces 1.6x crop mode on the RP, in the same way that EF-S lenses can only be used in crop mode on this full frame camera. I have gathered from other forums that this is a problem with the chip in early versions of this lens in RF bodies.

My question: Has anyone here successfully exchanged the chip (PCB) that Laowa allegedly offeres as a fix (I haven't heard back from Laowa yet; this was mentioned in the other forum)? I'm trying to find out what my options would be as otherwise I need to return the lens ASAP.

Regards, Ichty

(P.S.: Taping over all the contacts wouldn't be a good fix for me :wink: as the automatic aperture is an essention feature of this EF version.)

klevin

Re: Laowa 2x problem: forced crop mode on RF mount

Post by klevin »

Is crop so bad? Seems to me you can easily adjust during shooting. After all, wysiwyg.

Ichthyophthirius

Re: Laowa 2x problem: forced crop mode on RF mount

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

klevin wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:32 pm
Is crop so bad?
{-( Unacceptable :D But in all seriousness, crop mode is 10 MP on the Canon RP. That's not using the lens to it's full potential, as it is supposedly quite good on full frame.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic