Mitutoyo 5x new open box $300 on ebay

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dgarnick

Mitutoyo 5x new open box $300 on ebay

Post by dgarnick »

I just bought one of these. The seller has 2 more.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitutoyo-5x-M- ... SwHbdgJIMX
The seller is in the US.
David Garnick

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Mitutoyo 5x new open box $300 on ebay

Post by Chris S. »

While the price is attractive, the "no returns" policy is sobering.

--Chris S.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Chris S. wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 pm
While the price is attractive, the "no returns" policy is sobering.

--Chris S.
True Chris. Also makes you wonder that the guy paid for these, or did they drop off a truck someplace :shock:

Remember there was a case of the Nikon Plan APO 4x/0.20 lenses on eBay sealed, new, for $250 ea, a while back. I messaged the seller and he said he had a dozen of them. I bought one #-o (These were the new style but finite corrected.)

Don't forget with eBay can always go with a "goods not as described" in case of some issue since he claims they are "new" and in most cases eBay will side with the buyer no matter if you take returns or not. You would be surprised how many times I used that strategy to avoid getting burned.

Best,

Robert

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Thanks for the tip. I have a 5x but it gives a noticeable amount of axial CA so I've been wanting to replace it. Hopefully I won't end up with two!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:30 am
Thanks for the tip. I have a 5x but it gives a noticeable amount of axial CA so I've been wanting to replace it. Hopefully I won't end up with two!
Might be best in this case to buy two of these and test them. For that price you can always sell the extra lens.

I've done that before with used eBay objectives and its usually the case with me anyway, the uglier copy, or chipped copy is sharper #-o :D

Bought a edge chipped 50x M Plan APO for $100 and wouldn't you know it, it was sharper than my cosmetically perfect 50x M Plan. Sold the cosmetically perfect 50x M Plan to someone here on the forum for $100 (a big loss), with image samples to show the less than perfect performance, with the understanding I was selling due to image quality and the guy returned it, :shock: can you guess why?...it wasn't sharp. #-o

Best,

Robert

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

RobertOToole wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:20 am
Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:30 am
Might be best in this case to buy two of these and test them. For that price you can always sell the extra lens.

I've done that before with used eBay objectives and its usually the case with me anyway, the uglier copy, or chipped copy is sharper #-o :D

Bought a edge chipped 50x M Plan APO for $100 and wouldn't you know it, it was sharper than my cosmetically perfect 50x M Plan. Sold the cosmetically perfect 50x M Plan to someone here on the forum for $100 (a big loss), with image samples to show the less than perfect performance, with the understanding I was selling due to image quality and the guy returned it, :shock: can you guess why?...it wasn't sharp. #-o

Best,

Robert
That sounds nuts. Is that guy using the 50x apo to cut throats?

At $100 a less than perfect plan apo is still a steal. I would have bought it, I have things to photograph at that magnification. A Nikon CF M Plan 40x achromat would cost $100 on eBay.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic