Anyone knows the Nikon CFW10x M frame reticle?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Soki

Anyone knows the Nikon CFW10x M frame reticle?

Post by Soki »

Hey,

I have the M Version of the eyepiece CFW10x with a frame reticle glued? In the Tube.
Is it possible to remove this? I don’t need it and it disturbs me while observing specimens.
My other eyepiece is the normal version.

Thanks for your help,
Simon

viktor j nilsson

Re: Anyone knows the Nikon CFW10x M frame reticle?

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Yes, it is quite easy to do, I've done it on a couple of CF10xM eyepieces. The nice thing is the the bottom lens is usually really clean when you remove it. :D

To get it out, you need to loosen the retaining ring at the bottom of the upper, rotating part. This will allow you to unscrew the two halves. The reticle may be stuck with some adhesive, if so you need to soak it a bit (i used acetone). Flip it over on your bench (so that the lower side faces up) and whack the reticle with something. It will pop out.

Duke

Post by Duke »

I've had CFUW-M 10x / 26.5 with a reticle (photographic frame, useless for me), I removed it.
Mine was glued in place so sturdy, so I think it was impossible to extract without breaking it apart.
I was able to hook the edge of the reticle frame and bend it inside the eyepiece tube with a screwdriver, and then I've pulled it out using pliers, brute force and plenty of curse words. : D
Then I've cleaned the shards and bits of dust and eyepiece was as good as new, I've installed new holder (cut out of photo film case) and crosshair-scale reticle.
Clearly was not designed to be removed. Annoying fuss, but what can you do... Buy another? Nah.
“Thoroughly conscious ignorance is the prelude to every real advance in science.” - JCM

Soki

Post by Soki »

Hey guys,

thanks a lot for your help! I managed to get it out. This was definitely not made to remove😅.

best regards,
Simon

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

You may want to consider a pair of these Chinese 10x/22 eyepieces https://www.ebay.com/itm/253712777670
I have had good results with them on an Optiphot and I use them with a Nikon head on my personal frankenscope (along with Mitutoyo objectives).

Soki

Post by Soki »

Thanks a lot for the link, I bought a pair WF 10/22 from another chinese seller. They’re probably produced in the same factory and hopefully differ only slightly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WF10X-22-Eyepi ... 17d985f6ff

Im looking forward to test these and compare them to the CFW10x.
I read good things about these generic chinese eyepieces, as long as you don’t need eyepiece-correction. I bought 10/23 30mm for my stereomicroscope, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-St-ck-Stereo ... 94afcbd400

best regards,
Simon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic