MAG.X 8X / 0.32 LD PLAN APOCHROMATIC OBJECTIVE

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Re: MAG.X 8X / 0.32 LD PLAN APOCHROMATIC OBJECTIVE

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:29 pm
What a beautiful thing

Yes, and they got a little creative with the 8x, they flipped the waves. :-k

PM-Qioptiq-Mag.x-8x-and-5x-LD-plan-apochromat-objective-003-www-closeuphotography-com.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Pm-Qioptiq-Mag.x-8x-0-32-LD-Plan-Apochromat-Objective-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg
Update on the 8x Mag.x, the lens is at the office now with only $60 in paperwork fees (so far!).

I've update the 8x page: https://www.closeuphotography.com/qiopt ... -objective

So far I have tested the lens against a pushed down Mitutoyo 10x M Plan Apo 10x .28 and Mitutoyo 10X M Plan Apo HR 10x 0.42.

Over the weekend I've tried a few tube lenses, the hard part is finding a good lens for the Mag.x system that uses a 250mm TL.

Out of what I've tested so far, one surprise? The APO-Gerogon 9/240 that I paid the huge sum of, seriously, less than $50 ! #-o

Also plan to test the 8x vs. the Mitutoyo 7.5x M Plan but I only realized a few days ago, I sold my two copies last year and never replaced them due to pandemic.

So if anyone has an extra unit, I would pay for shipping and owe you a favor :D

I do plan to pick up a Mitutoyo 7.5x again at some point soon but with business 95% down in my industry, wildlife photography, other things are going to have to come first.

One of those things is a new camera body that I have put off for 2 years. I plan to shoot the 8x Mag.x with a new pixel shift body that I will be able to buy this week or next thanks to some of my recent crypto currency appreciation in the last weeks thanks =D> made possible thanks to an infusion of funds from some recent lens sales, almost 30 units sold in the last 90 days that were collecting dust on my shelves :o

Image sample, 2500 pixel uncropped, just resized and sharpened. 8x Mag.x, APO-Gerogon 9/240, A6300, two flash + diffuser.

Link: http://bit.ly/8x-mag-x-2500-pixel-sample

(This is the 2500 pixel file resized that looks terrible resized to 1024 px so be sure to click on the link for the full size image)
PM-Red-orange-wafer-Qioptiq-Mag.x-8x-LD-Plan-Objective-with-Rodenstock-APO-Gerogon-9-240-tune-lens-www-closeuphotography-com.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Quick update

Just tested the 9/240 Ysaron process lens that is super clean and sharp on a Mitutoyo, has red fringing on the Mag.x.

Left: Rodenstock 9/240 APO-Gerogon process lens. Excellent CA control and not as sharp as the Ysaron
Right: Rodenstock 9/240 Ysaron process lens. Sharper than the Gerogon but introduces red fringing. See the bottom of the number 235.

PM-Gerogon-vs-Ysaron.jpg

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Haven't read your test in detail yet, but in the last picture you posted here I definitely prefer the right-hand image. Sharper, as you say. But I'm also seeing quite a bit of purple fringing on the long bright lines in the section above the numbering on the left-hand image? These lines are very clean in the image on the right.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It would be worthwhile to see which of these is correctable with the Lens Correction filter in Photoshop, and which of them would disappear using Remove CA in ACR. Sometimes one or the other of these can completely remove CA. But it depends on the exact nature of the CA.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Major Update:

After testing and working with the 8x Mag.x all week, last night I made a big discovery. The Mag.x 8x is best with minimal space, or adapters only, between the tube lens front element and the objective mounting threads. :shock:

That makes me want to re-test all the previous TLs. #-o I want to re-test the Century +4 and ITL200 which did not do very well with the normal 2-3 inch TL space. Guess I'm just glad I found it out before the lens goes back.

So far the Componon-S 5.6/180 is best, but its also the longest I have. Anyone with a 240mm Componon-S sitting collecting dust I can borrow or buy :D :D

PM-240-CPN-S.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Confirmation.
The Century +4 and Thorlans ITL200 tube lenses are both much better mounted without any space between tube lens and objective. Also Mag.x 8x was better with Thorlabs in normal orientation, not reverse.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

That's really interesting--kind of funny how much of a difference that can make. Also a bit unfortunate because my microscope requires something like 8 inches of space between the objectives and tube lens between the nosepiece, illuminator and mag changer, but what can you do.
It might be too much to ask, but do you think the HR objective might see similar improvements with a shorter distance?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:35 pm
That's really interesting--kind of funny how much of a difference that can make. Also a bit unfortunate because my microscope requires something like 8 inches of space between the objectives and tube lens between the nosepiece, illuminator and mag changer, but what can you do.
It might be too much to ask, but do you think the HR objective might see similar improvements with a shorter distance?
I can double check tomorrow. I do remember Mitutoyo objectives were pretty insensitive 2 - 4 inches was usually best with all the lenses tested other than telephoto lenses when I ran a big TL test in 2018. The telephotos were usually were best with minimal distance, too much space resulted in corner shading and CAs.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:35 pm
No drop in IQ with the Mitutoyo HR mounted without any extension. That's good to know!

Best,

Robert

leonsit

Post by leonsit »

Long shot but do you have anything close to 500mm TL to try? I am very curious on performance on medium format sensor which they claim to offer. I understand it is probably outside the typical parameter of your testing gears

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

leonsit wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:55 pm
Long shot but do you have anything close to 500mm TL to try? I am very curious on performance on medium format sensor which they claim to offer. I understand it is probably outside the typical parameter of your testing gears
Not a 500 TL, I have a 4/500 but thats not going to work for a few reasons. I should pick up a cheap 300mm+ enlarging lens some day and see how it works on my 5x mag.x. The only 300 I have now is a 2.8/300. Years ago I checked a 100-400 Sigma C, ring type zoom lens, as a tube lens and it had terrible CAs on the long end, and it made for a pretty unstable vertical setup.

So far the 8x covers APS-C, 28mm diagonal, with a 200mm TL.

I do plan to check full frame performance on the 8x before I sent it back.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The only 300 I have now is a 2.8/300.
I am using my Canon 300mm f/2.8 fluorite lens as a tube lens at this very moment. It is better than my cheaper 300mm lenses. This Mag.x deserves a lens like that :D

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:23 pm
The only 300 I have now is a 2.8/300.
I am using my Canon 300mm f/2.8 fluorite lens as a tube lens at this very moment. It is better than my cheaper 300mm lenses. This Mag.x deserves a lens like that :D

Hi Lou,

You are probably right but my 300 wont physically fit into my current vertical setup #-o

I do have an unfinished, extra tall vertical setup (with a 1 micron Mitutoyo focus block) but thats on my Need-to-Finish-List :-k

Best,

R

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Big news today, I've received an email from Qioptiq and it was very very positive. Can't share any details yet but it looks like more interesting Qioptiq tests and reviews coming soon!

Anything you want to see from them let me know. https://www.qioptiq-shop.com/en/Precisi ... on-Lenses/

De.fine 2.4/128? 120 Float lens? Let me know in the comments below.

The full test of the 8x mag.x:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/qiopt ... -objective

_PM-dfine.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic