Light Source for BH2 BHTU

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MNBoldone

Light Source for BH2 BHTU

Post by MNBoldone »

I am getting started in photomicroscopy in somewhat of a three pronged approach as one principle interest is photographing lichens and I was trying to better learn them at the same time - I seem to have forgotten everything I have previously known about the group.

Anyhow, I ordered a BH2 -T microscope with 10x SPLAN, 20x SPLAN and 40x SPLAN objectives from ebay thinking that would be a good base to use as a start. I had intended to order a BHS-LSH 100W light source and 100x objective when I found a decent deals. In doing further reading today, it seems that there are a few significant differences between the BHS and the BHT. The Olympus catalog says this of the BHT system "Smaller than the BHS model, with a different transformer and light source". It does not list the BHS-LSH as compatible, but it doesn't explicitly say that it is incompatible. The reference to the different transformer makes me believe that I am out of luck.

Can anyone confirm that the BHS-LSH is incompatible with the BHT series?

Having only 20% of the available light seems like a bad place to start. I saw on this forum that there are LED conversion kits available, but some were not satisfied with their light (and I am not sure if the BHT LED version is as bright as the BHS version anyhow). I do hope to find a 100x objective soon and a dark field condenser eventually. I am thinking my best option may be to look for a BHS with the BHS-LSH, a different condenser (i.e. darkfield), and some objectives I haven't got (like a 100x and maybe a 4x), and if I get very, very lucky maybe a photo adaptor and accept any financial loss. Any advise is appreciated. I guess the key issue is if the lighting on the BHT can be made acceptable for photography (primarily spores with 100x in the near future). When I look closer it seems most posters using BH2s on this forum are using BTS models. I still need to find a photoadaptor and NFK eyepieces as well.

Thanks all,

Brad
Brad B.

micro_pix

Re: Light Source for BH2 BHTU

Post by micro_pix »

Hi,

You are correct in thinking that you can’t use the 100w lamphouse on the BHT/BHTU. I have Olympus BH2 BHS and BHT models and I use a Retrodiode 10w LED illuminator on the BHT which is good for light hungry techniques like polarised, darkfield and phase contrast and will certainly be fine for fungal spores using a 100x objective. The light output is close to what you get with the 100w bulb on the BHS and produces a nice even illumination. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265067311717.

As these LED’s use pulse width modulation for dimming (basically switching on and off rapidly) there have been issues with banding when using digital cameras because, when the LED is anything other than full brightness, it is turning on and off as the sensor is read (more pronounced in full electronic shutter mode as the read is slower). The latest LED’s from Retrodiode have much higher frequency PWM’s than the early ones and I haven’t had this problem with this version.

If I get a moment I’ll set the BHT up with the Retrodiode and do a couple of comparison shots of spores with a BHS using the same camera settings.

Dave

seta666

Post by seta666 »

I got an BH2 couple of weeks ago, it came with the D Ach objectives. As the NFK 1.67x is very difficult to find and I had to get at least S Plans to get the quality I wanted I decided to use nikon CFN objectives via direct projection instead.

I also tried afocal method on the binicular head with WHK 10/20 L eyepieces and konica hexanon 40/1.8 pancake, it worked well; you would need to adapt the phototube as eyepieces are bigger than NFKs.

My cameras are a sony APS-C NEX 5N and A5100

My scope came with the 20w lamp but I am using a 6w COB led now; I plan to get one of Saul's hybrid flash/Led 3D printed illuminators.

Here is the project progress so far, maybe it helps.

MNBoldone

Post by MNBoldone »

Thanks guys. I guess I just had a bit of panic when I realized my lighting options were reduced. It sounds like you are both pleased with the BHTU, so I will resume my plans to use that scope as my foundation.

The scope I acquired came with a trifocal head.

Seta666, It would be interesting to see how Saul hybrid works for you. I hope you plan to post when you get it. I am not sure I am interested in building my own light source at this time (at least for transmitted light), so if I upgrade I would probably go with one of the options the two of you presented.

Brad
Brad B.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

I do have Saul’s hybrid LED/Flash for the BH2 and it is excellent. I’ve had really nice results using it in darkfield where using short duration flash will give plenty of light and is fast enough to freeze any action. The LED side obviously enables you to frame a shot when using flash, I tend to use it on a very low setting and fire the flash on the second curtain. As an LED illuminator for general use I like the RetroDiode version, Saul’s LED/flash opens up many more photographic possibilities.

Dave

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Dave, could you compare the convenience of the Saul's and Retrodiode's illuminators for continuous illumination in the same microscope?
I'm interested in light intensity, regulation, light quality and mainly ability to set Kölher. Just curiosity because I have both continuous and flash illumination solved with my DIY setups
Pau

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Pau wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:40 am
Dave, could you compare the convenience of the Saul's and Retrodiode's illuminators for continuous illumination in the same microscope?
I'm interested in light intensity, regulation, light quality and mainly ability to set Kölher. Just curiosity because I have both continuous and flash illumination solved with my DIY setups
I have the 20W version of the RetroDiode LED for the BHS and the 10W version for the BHT. The version of Saul’s LED/Flash I have is for the BHS so I can compare it to the 20W on the same base and the 10W on the BHT. I’ll post it on a new thread.

Dave

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

That would be very interesting, thanks!
Pau

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Hi,

I've posted some stuff in a new thread here for the BH2 BHS