Canon Lenses usable on a Nikon Z Camera with new Fotodiox adapter

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Canon Lenses usable on a Nikon Z Camera with new Fotodiox adapter

Post by Chris S. »

I received an email from Fotodiox, introducing a new product:
  • "Fusion Smart AF Adapter for Canon EF/EF-S Lenses to Nikon Z-mount Bodies

"Looking for more lenses for your Nikon Z camera? Grab a Fusion adapter and some EF mount glass to fill the gaps! Check out the latest addition to our line of Fusion Smart Adapters.

"Get it now-$229.95"
A lens available only from Canon, which some Nikon shooters have wished they could use, is the Canon MP-E 65 f/2.8 Macro Photo. The lens shoots a 1x-5x magnification, though it's best only in the 1-3x portion of its range. With this new adapter from Fotodiox, Nikon shooters with Z system bodies could use this Canon lens. (Nikon F-mount cameras are still left in the dark.)

Fotodiox has posted a video showing use of this adapter--albeit not with the MP-E 65 macro--on YouTube.

Fotodiox also has further information at their blog.

I suspect that Fotodiox could make a cheaper, simpler version of this adapter specifically to mount the Canon MP-E 65 lens on Nikon F bodies. (Cheaper because no need for autofocus or fancy features--just aperture coupling. If enough of us wanted them, they might be convinced to make such a thing. I've never asked, as I suspect the demand would be pretty small.

Of course, the Canon MP-e 65 is no longer the only lens available that gives magnification above 1x. This said, it may still be the all-around best such lens.

--Chris S.

RobertOToole

Re: Canon Lenses usable on a Nikon Z Camera with new Fotodiox adapter

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Chris,
Chris S. wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:48 am
I received an email from Fotodiox, introducing a new product:
  • "Fusion Smart AF Adapter for Canon EF/EF-S Lenses to Nikon Z-mount Bodies

"Looking for more lenses for your Nikon Z camera? Grab a Fusion adapter and some EF mount glass to fill the gaps! Check out the latest addition to our line of Fusion Smart Adapters.

"Get it now-$229.95"
A lens available only from Canon, which some Nikon shooters have wished they could use, is the Canon MP-E 65 f/2.8 Macro Photo. The lens shoots a 1x-5x magnification, though it's best only in the 1-3x portion of its range. With this new adapter from Fotodiox, Nikon shooters with Z system bodies could use this Canon lens. (Nikon F-mount cameras are still left in the dark.)
Yes, correct, I can confirm that behavior on my MP-E, at 1x its really excellent, 2-3x pretty good and the IQ falls off past that.

Stopping down helps a bit but only to a certain point of course.
I suspect that Fotodiox could make a cheaper, simpler version of this adapter specifically to mount the Canon MP-E 65 lens on Nikon F bodies. (Cheaper because no need for autofocus or fancy features--just aperture coupling. If enough of us wanted them, they might be convinced to make such a thing. I've never asked, as I suspect the demand would be pretty small.

Of course, the Canon MP-e 65 is no longer the only lens available that gives magnification above 1x. This said, it may still be the all-around best such lens.

--Chris S.

From memory Nikon F is 46.5mm FFD (flange focal distance), EOS mount is 44mm FFD so you can do Nikon F mount lens on a Canon EOS mount body. I think I have one laying around in the box someplace, its by RedRockMicro.

https://shop.redrockmicro.com/product/n ... t-adapter/

The other way around is possible of course but the market would be small since infinity focus is impossible.

You can get around the electronic connection, you can set the aperture on a Canon body and just remove the lens, the aperture stays set. They use that for trick for astro photos for consistent exposure.

Best,

Robert

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Canon Lenses usable on a Nikon Z Camera with new Fotodiox adapter

Post by Chris S. »

Robert,
The other way around is possible of course but the market would be small since infinity focus is impossible.
Agreed, such an adapter would only be compelling for use with the Canon MP-E 65 macro lens, where infinity focus is irrelevant. However, this particular lens is the only Canon lens that I've heard any notable number of Nikon shooters covet. This is not a knock on Canon lenses--just a symptom of the fact that Nikon has an extensive collection of available glass. (Canon has, too.) The MP-E 65 sits in a niche that Nikon has not bothered to enter.

I once had a very productive conversation with the owner of Fotodiox about the first generation of another product, and found him to be someone who takes real pride in making solid products that solve photographer's problems. So I've thought that a suggestion to build an MP-E 65 adapter would at least get a listen and consideration. What has stopped me is a sense that such a product would sell rather few copies, and that I couldn't honest say I'd purchase one myself. (I have good glass for 1x, 2x, and 3x--I just need to change lenses between each.)
You can get around the electronic connection, you can set the aperture on a Canon body and just remove the lens, the aperture stays set. They use that for trick for astro photos for consistent exposure.
Agreed again. But some of us don't have Canon bodies. Also, having an aperture fully open for framing/focus, and having that aperture close down automatically during the shot is awfully useful, especially for macro. I used to do hand-held macro with manual lenses on bellows--wouldn't care to go back.

Cheers,

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic