Afocal Leica SM-LUX Project

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

orangetang

Re: Afocal Leica SM-LUX Project

Post by orangetang »

It's been a while... The microscopes arrived and I had some work to do. Parts have slowly trickled in and somehow one of the most critical pieces, my 50mm F1.8D is nowhere to be found. Here's the setup at the moment.

These are the two Leitz SM-LUX (circa ~'57 and '62) scopes were both eBay purchases while I was killing time on a rig in the North Sea through the holidays. The scope on the right was meant to be the keeper and the scope on the left was purchased as a parts scope, primarily for the trinocular head.

As it turns out ‘refurbished’ and ‘excellent condition’ were not terms I would have used to describe the scope on the right when it arrived. The focus mechanism has some sticky/rough spots and the entire unit is bare of lubrication. Fine focus has ended up being manageable with SM-LUX however with this particular scope it is too jumpy and noisy to deal with. The lighting source is also the standard 6V warm toned bulb that really isn’t powerful enough beyond 250x in my opinion. For photography the brighter and whiter the better, IMO. It didn’t even arrive with decent eyepieces, but instead some pretty beat up AO eyepieces that I would even question the legitimacy of. Either way they're not very clear. I contacted the seller and his response was that for the age of the scope it is in 'excellent condition', despite the refurbished listing. I won't be using it for now.

Fortunately the ‘as-is for parts’ scope I was expecting to be in bad condition seems to be in excellent condition and has a 24V illumination source. I have been told that Leitz has apparently never sold a 24V system for these. Could this be a one off DIY modification? It works great. I swapped the objective lenses to the tri-head unit and ‘serviced’ the headpiece. Disassembly was straight forward and not at all as daunting as I had imagined it might be. The head is excellent. :D

Here’s a mock-up of the Nikon on an adapter tube meant for my 800mm. The actual setup will be the 52mm x 28mm adapter ring onto the filter threads of a Nikkor AF 1.8D lens. The 28mm inside of the adapter ring will thread onto either of the Periplan eyepieces with the rubber cups and drop directly into the phototube.

From what I understand using a camera lens at infinity focus through the intended eyepiece is an easy to do parfocal adaptation that Leitz designed into their microscope systems, designating the phototube and eyepiece with a red dot.

700scopes.jpg

orangetang

Post by orangetang »

With the luck of misplacing the lens I intended to use for this project, my wife also managed to break the screen on my new laptop. While it is away for repair I have pieced together a rather old PC and am using an old iphone as a camera. Another curve ball was once Photoshop was installed it wouldn't work on this computer. It seems pre-SSE4.3 processors are no longer supported. Luckily these days Adobe allows you to go back and install past versions of the software and I now have an operational PS 2020 on a PC that is barely capable of stacking the images the little iphone can produce.

Here are the first few attempts using two extremely cheap linear polarizers I ordered from China, a few prepared slides of various crystalized compounds I found on eBay and a trial version of Helicon Focus 7, Zerene and Picolay. I'm not sure if I used Helicon for the exports on all of these, but it was by far the easiest to use and produced the best alignment of a 1000x specimen I initially took a crack at.

Stacked with Helicon (probably) and cropped with mspaint...
Polarized.jpg
Polarized-2.jpg
Polarized-3.jpg
...and once PS was working.
This was the first test with image stacking in PS. The PC isn't able to auto-arrange and importing the files takes several minutes - results might be better than any of the above though. For ease of use and instant post processing, this is the way forward for me.

This is oxalic acid at 250X - Leitz NPL25/0.50 x Periplan 10x (glasses) x iPhone 7
Oxalic-Acid-250X.jpg

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Congrats, it seems to work very well.
From what I understand using a camera lens at infinity focus through the intended eyepiece is an easy to do parfocal adaptation that Leitz designed into their microscope systems, designating the phototube and eyepiece with a red dot.
Yes, you're right
Typical Leitz microscope cameras and camera adapters used a 80mm "0.3X" lens over a 10X eyepiece. In fact I find that this would crop too much, being a 60mm more adequate for FF at least if you use adequate objectives
Red dot oculars are designed (or just selected?) to do it but a most Periplan eyepieces without the dot also work well. I most use a 6.3X for APSc with a 63mm lens
Pau

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

I really like the oxalic acid at 250X image, and the first one. Nice results. =D>

Best,

Robert

orangetang

Post by orangetang »

Thanks Robert. Those two did turn out sharper than the others. The oxalic acid looks like an artistic filter was applied in PS, but other than slight contrast increase that's pretty well straight out of camera.

Trying to figure out now how to correct some of the blurring in out of focus regions. Here's an example of a pine needle prepared slide. Towards upper left edge specifically, it looks completely out of focus. I'm not sure if that's the camera, the eyepiece, objective or software. Because there is a considerable crop required for the iphone sensor, I feel like the NPL objectives are less likely to blame than other factors.

Would you expect an NPL to be so soft towards the corners? Inverted for contrast.
700.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic