Scanner Nikkor 38mm f/2.8 LS30 Scanner Lens Tested

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Re: Scanner Nikkor 38mm f/2.8 LS30 Scanner Lens Tested

Post by Lou Jost »

I will measure it later this evening, Ray. The lens is quite good at 2.5-4 but I do not want to claim that it is as good as the special lenses you use. But unlike your subjects, mine wilt, so speed and flexibility are more important to me than to you. Also my subjects vary continuously in size, unlike yours, so the ability to rapidly adjust the FOV without disassembling is important.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Ray, the working distance is roughly about 45mm regardless of magnification. A nice feature is that the front of the lens is very small.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:32 pm
I will measure it later this evening, Ray. The lens is quite good at 2.5-4 but I do not want to claim that it is as good as the special lenses you use. But unlike your subjects, mine wilt, so speed and flexibility are more important to me than to you. Also my subjects vary continuously in size, unlike yours, so the ability to rapidly adjust the FOV without disassembling is important.
I'm not thinking of the lens for studio work, but for walkaround at lowest mag ranges. I've contemplated getting an MPE-65 for a long time but my walkaround camera is a Nikon.

Just saw your reply about WD being 45mm. That's very generous for many subjects but likely still needs specialized lighting. It does look like there is plenty of room on the front to add a ringlight though.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

In that case, you would probably find it useful. The front of the lens is MUCH smaller than that of the MPE-65, allowing more lighting options, and tests show the optical quality is better.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:34 pm
In that case, you would probably find it useful. The front of the lens is MUCH smaller than that of the MPE-65, allowing more lighting options, and tests show the optical quality is better.
Thats the biggest issue with the MP-E, the huge black hole of a front end!

I use a white plate reflector at the front but its still an issue in the field in tight spaces.

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic