Suggestions for CCTV lenses for w/a macro relay set-up?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Thagomizer

Suggestions for CCTV lenses for w/a macro relay set-up?

Post by Thagomizer »

Hi all;

I assume that an M12 CCTV lens rated for 12 megapixels will give better results than one for 5 megapixels when used as the front element of a w/a or fisheye macro relay lens? It would be good to hear confirmation of this from someone who has found the answer themselves. I realize that a setup like this isn't going to give me spectacular, pixel-peeping results, but I'd still like to be able to get as good an image as possible with the unique perspective such a rig can provide. I've got most of what I would need to put together such a system, but the CCTV lens is the final ingredient. Most seem to be inexpensive, no-name devices, so I'm not expecting optical miracles. Still, it would still be good to get it right, or at least good, the first time rather than the sixth or seventh! If I can avoid too many unecessary purchases and fruitless experiments,that would be great, so any advice or suggestions on hidden gems, or warnings on dogs to be avoided would be most helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention.

Bruce

Thagomizer

Re: Suggestions for CCTV lenses for w/a macro relay set-up?

Post by Thagomizer »

I went ahead and ordered another bit for my eventual wide-angle macro relay lens today. I found a great deal on a Fujinon 2.7mm f1.8 C-mount fisheye lens. The version I got is the fixed aperture 1.8 one, rather than the manual aperture version, which is more expensive. I'd come across references to this lens before, and in the course of my searches, came across this thread on mflenses.com. According to poster of the mflenses forum member, this Fujinon had been used in a security camera called the Axis 212. Searching e-bay under the name of the camera yielded sales for the camera or lens that were priced much lower than searches using the lens name itself, which were often of the manual iris version. On top of that, putting one of my search results on my watch list resulted in the seller offering me a discount the next day! SOLD!

People using this lens on the Pentax Q, and here, and on m43 cameras were getting good results, so I'm hoping I will get better results from this Fujinon than I would have from the cheaper M12 mount board lenses I'd been considering. It's going to be bigger, so trickier to light when used for macro, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic