8000ED Scanner lens mounting idea

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nielsgeode

8000ED Scanner lens mounting idea

Post by nielsgeode »

I'm busy working on my (new) setup(s) for some optics, including the Nikon Coolscan 8000ED scanner lens. On closeupphotography.com are instructions on how to mount and use that lens. In those instructions it is suggested to epoxy-glue the Thorlabs SM2 threaded sleeves onto the lens. Personally I don't like to glue things as it is permanent. After some trial-and-error I found a good alternative that I like to share: on eBay you can find gold finger high-temperature resistant KAPTON tape in different width. If you apply the correct amount of layers of this tape on the scanner lens you can slide the SM2 tubes over the lens with enough friction that they won't easily come off. For me it works really well, and if you later want to change the system you can easily pull of the SM2 sleeves and remove the tape.

Niels

Macro_Cosmos

Re: 8000ED Scanner lens mounting idea

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Can also design an adaptor that secures the lens via set screws, like these:
https://rafcamera.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=scanner

I had one designed but never got it made, as I swapped the lens for a Minolta 5400 one.

JKT

Post by JKT »

I supect it should be relatively easy to design and print two sleeves with conical surface between them. On would have full circumference cone and on the other the cone would be split to sections. Then use two fixing rings to tighten them around the scanner lens.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:11 am

I had one designed but never got it made, as I swapped the lens for a Minolta 5400 one.
Raf already makes one:

https://rafcamera.com/adapter-d50-to-m42x1m

It is not clearly described as such but it fits my 8000ED perfectly.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

nielsgeode wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:21 am
I'm busy working on my (new) setup(s) for some optics, including the Nikon Coolscan 8000ED scanner lens. On closeupphotography.com are instructions on how to mount and use that lens. In those instructions it is suggested to epoxy-glue the Thorlabs SM2 threaded sleeves onto the lens. Personally I don't like to glue things as it is permanent. After some trial-and-error I found a good alternative that I like to share: on eBay you can find gold finger high-temperature resistant KAPTON tape in different width. If you apply the correct amount of layers of this tape on the scanner lens you can slide the SM2 tubes over the lens with enough friction that they won't easily come off. For me it works really well, and if you later want to change the system you can easily pull of the SM2 sleeves and remove the tape.

Niels
Thats news to me, as the owner of that site, I'll check what I posted!

I actually used stainless shim tape to eliminate any rattle for a really tight fit. I seriously don't remember gluing anything. With the tape in place, the SM2 lens adapter sleeve pushed over the lens barrel for a nice tight fit.

BTW, I dont think Thorlabs offers that size SM2 sleeve any longer.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dickb wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:49 am
Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:11 am

Raf already makes one:

https://rafcamera.com/adapter-d50-to-m42x1m

It is not clearly described as such but it fits my 8000ED perfectly.
Hi Dick,

This is not a negative report on the adapter from Raf as I have never tried that adapter but over the years I've observed that mounting a lens with a short end cap type adapter like that, especially a long lens like the Scanner-Nikkor 14 element lens, will never sit true or straight in the mount unless you use shims to get a nice tight fit.

Just received a shipment of 8 or 9 RafCamera adapters a week or so ago and one of the adapters that was off-the-shelf adapter for the Scanner-Nikkor 7 element lens, it was a short end cap type adapter. Sure enough the when you tighten the set screw the lens shifts to one side and turns at a slight angle pivoting on the set screw.

Instead of making it work with shims, I'm having Raf make a new one that fits better (also without the M27 threads of the off-the-shelf unit). Maybe the person that ordered the adapter from Raf in the first place wanted to fit that way (overly loose and short) ? I don't see why they would order it like it is otherwise.

I posted info on the new adapters I received here on my site: https://www.closeuphotography.com/blog/ ... pters-2020

Best,

Robert

chuong nguyen

Post by chuong nguyen »

There are some details about my setup here. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39532

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chuong nguyen wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:57 pm
There are some details about my setup here. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39532