MJKZZ Extreme system and ...

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dhmiller

MJKZZ Extreme system and ...

Post by dhmiller »

Curious if anyone is using the MJKZZ Extreme system and if so, with what magnification(s). I'd like to hear any comments or thoughts about the system especially if it's being used with 50x or higher.

nielsgeode

Re: MJKZZ Extreme system and ...

Post by nielsgeode »

dhmiller wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:49 pm
Curious if anyone is using the MJKZZ Extreme system and if so, with what magnification(s). I'd like to hear any comments or thoughts about the system especially if it's being used with 50x or higher.
Better get the stonemaster rail. It's the best rail I've ever seen and you can easily and without any issues use it with 100x.

shrek

Post by shrek »

Hello

Nice but very expensiv..1500€

jpierre

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

shrek wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:06 am
Hello

Nice but very expensiv..1500€

jpierre
the mjkzz or stonemaster system?

In any case I can guarantee you that the German system is very well designed and completely made by hand by someone who is incredibly skilled. I have the system and it's absolutely amazing. Or maybe I shouldn't spread this information too much as he is already very busy and can hardly fill in demand.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

There is an economical alternative that is excellent: the WeMacro MicroMate plus a good used microscope ( or jsut the focusing block) with fine focus ability. I use this almost exclusively now. It is far more stable and with much finer steps than WeMacro or Cognisys rails (I don't know anything about the German rail though). It costs about 1/10 the price of the German rail.

joshmacro

Post by joshmacro »

Lou Jost wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:47 am
plus a good used microscope ( or jsut the focusing block) with fine focus ability.
Lou: Any focusing blocks you would recommend? Thanks.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

The Wemacro Micromate is really good, I use it on my microscope. With a small non-destructive mod, I converted the motor bracket to allow arca-swiss mounting, making translations far easier.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I use Nikon blocks with nested focusing and fine-focusing knobs. The ones with just a single knob will not work well. The good ones are regularly available on ebay. I use it to move my camera whose lens rests on the round stage mount that goes with these blocks. Or I can use it to move the subject, withe the camera securely mounted. I also use one to move the stage of an intact finite microscope.

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

The Stonemaster guy (Rudy??) won't ship to the US and wrote me a fairly nasty note when I asked if there was any way around that. Not very pleasant.
Not really able to mod a focusing block, so would need to purchase one ready to use on my system (built around WeMacro H/V stand). If anyone has one...

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Perhaps Lou can show us a few photos again on his set up with the WeMacro Micro Mate which I cannot find any more.

I think that that might give some good ideas to work on with a vertical system.

BR

John

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

_1160765.jpg
_1160762.jpg
This is a little odd, I've fastened the block to a UM2 column as a counterweight. But there are other do-it-yourself options. For example, I could have drilled holes in the marble vertical plates and fastened the microscope block to that. Or I could have gotten a whole microscope with its focusing block (these are very cheap) and I could have sawed off the top.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I have not used either the mjkzz ultra nor the stonemaster systems, but I can make some general comments regarding their construction that might be helpful.

The mjkzz ultra system is built around an industrial rail system. The system is not specified, but the picture shows something that looks like a THK/Misumi/NSK/HiWin type of linear guide rail. This type of rail is a significant improvement over mjkzz's own SR90P system, which uses just a single linear carriage rail having far less stability and precision than the linear guide type. The stonemaster system (based on their website photos) is similar to the mjkzz SR90P, with a single linear carriage, so pricing-wise and precision-wise the stonemaster should be compared to the SR90P, with the expectation that neither is as capable mechanically to the Ultra system.

Another option is to build your own system using surplus rails. Indeed that is the path I took, with THK linear guides, and can certainly shoot at 50x with no issues.

joshmacro

Post by joshmacro »

Thanks for sharing this setup Lou. I can't tell what the camera/lens is attached to. It appears that the entire camera/lens assembly is "resting" on the microscope bracket. Is that correct?

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Lou Jost wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:07 pm
_1160765.jpg
_1160762.jpg

This is a little odd, I've fastened the block to a UM2 column as a counterweight. But there are other do-it-yourself options. For example, I could have drilled holes in the marble vertical plates and fastened the microscope block to that. Or I could have gotten a whole microscope with its focusing block (these are very cheap) and I could have sawed off the top.
Hi Lou

Thanks for finding the photos.

Looking at it again what is your mechanism for XY positioning on the subject given that the lens seems fixed?

BR

John

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I move the subject manually or with a small micrometer-driven xy stage, or I put a modified x-y stage on the microscope block.

_1160346.jpg
I made a hole in the stage so a microscope objective fits through it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic