Schneider locking screws

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Re: Schneider locking screws

Post by ray_parkhurst »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:15 pm
So far I have only received one inquiry about joining a group buy. I plan to buy a couple, and one other forum member wants to buy a couple. Anyone else interested? They are certainly expensive, but if you need them, the original equipment is always best.
So far total of 6 pieces committed out of 20 minimum order. Need a few more folks, PM me if you need these.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Just wondering, are these thumbscrews identical to the ones from the Xenoplan machine vision line of lenses? Anyone owning both types of lenses? I measure the Xenoplan ones to have a width of 2.4mm over the peaks of the screw thread and be 4mm in length, with the final mm close to the knurled head lacking threads.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

dickb wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:22 am
Just wondering, are these thumbscrews identical to the ones from the Xenoplan machine vision line of lenses? Anyone owning both types of lenses? I measure the Xenoplan ones to have a width of 2.4mm over the peaks of the screw thread and be 4mm in length, with the final mm close to the knurled head lacking threads.
I believe there is only one type offered by Schneider. My Xenoplans use the same type of screw as the Unifoc, Makro-Symmar, and the 85MV. Indeed it is a 4mm long (thread length) M2.4 screw. Earlier in this thread Macrero says M2 but I don't think that is correct.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:54 am
I believe there is only one type offered by Schneider. My Xenoplans use the same type of screw as the Unifoc, Makro-Symmar, and the 85MV. Indeed it is a 4mm long (thread length) M2.4 screw. Earlier in this thread Macrero says M2 but I don't think that is correct.
I just measured couple of thumbscrews from M-Symmar 120 and Componon-S MI 4/80, and they are indeed M2.4. That explains why the M2 screws in quite loosely...
Attachments
IMG_20201005_122432.jpg
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

So far we have 5 folks who each want a pair of thumbscrews, so we're halfway to the minimum order. As others see this thread hopefully we'll get to the minimum and can place the order. I'll keep updating as we get more requests...Ray

lothman

Post by lothman »

Macrero wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:35 am
I just measured couple of thumbscrews from M-Symmar 120 and Componon-S MI 4/80, and they are indeed M2.4. That explains why the M2 screws in quite loosely...
M2,4 would be extremely exotic, M2,5 (0,45 pich) is a standard thread size. I think you can safely order M2,5 standard screws.
Something like this 10pcs for 5€

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

lothman wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:22 am
M2,4 would be extremely exotic, M2,5 (0,45 pich) is a standard thread size. I think you can safely order M2,5 standard screws.
Something like this 10pcs for 5€
Yeah, M2.4 is indeed very unusual, they are most likely M2.5.

Those look like a pretty good option. I may buy one set and see if they fit (I think they will). Will report back.
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

For the folks in the EU or UK, @Macrero has graciously agreed to trans-ship in order to reduce shipping costs. So if you're in the EU or UK and need some of these, let me know and I'll add you to the list.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
dickb wrote:
I just checked the measurements of the locking screws from a Unifoc-58, a MacroVaron, and a V-Mount 120mm Makro-Symmar. I measured both the MV and Makro-Symmar screws (on right of image) as 2.44mm in diameter, with an approximate threaded length of 4mm. However, the Unifoc screw (on left) measures 2.95mm in diameter and is about 5mm in length.
SKScrews2.jpg
Last edited by dmillard on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

dickb

Post by dickb »

dmillard wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:20 am
ray_parkhurst wrote:
dickb wrote:
I just checked the measurements of the locking screws from a Unifoc, a MacroVaron, and a V-Mount 120mm Makro-Symmar. I measured both the MV and Makro-Symmar screws (pictured on right) as 2.44mm in diameter, with an approximate threaded length of 4mm. However, the Unifoc screw (pictured on left) measures 2.95mm in diameter and is about 5mm in length.

SKScrews2.jpg
Thanks, good to know there are at least two variations of these locking screws.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

dickb wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:35 am
Thanks, good to know there are at least two variations of these locking screws.
You are welcome. Just to clarify, I measured a locking screw from a Unifoc-58, not the smaller Unifoc-12 for which Ray needed replacement screws. I was hoping to appropriate it, at least temporarily, for the MacroVaron, but that's not going to happen. On the other hand, that probably would have been an excellent way to lose this small screw somewhere during the transfer process. :)

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

dmillard wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:20 am
I just checked the measurements of the locking screws from a Unifoc-58, a MacroVaron, and a V-Mount 120mm Makro-Symmar. I measured both the MV and Makro-Symmar screws (on right of image) as 2.44mm in diameter, with an approximate threaded length of 4mm. However, the Unifoc screw (on left) measures 2.95mm in diameter and is about 5mm in length.
Thanks dmillard for this info. Seems there is a larger (M3) size of thumbscrew for the larger helicoids.
Last edited by ray_parkhurst on Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Again, PM me if you need any of the smaller screws. I'm hoping to place an order next week.

Especially anyone from EU/UK please let me know soon since I'll need to include yours with the shipment to Macrero in order to lower the overall shipping cost.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

So far only 3 folks have signed up (two each) for the thumbscrew group order, so not enough yet for the minimum. I'm still hoping for more folks so PM me if you are interested. I'm going to buy 2 so we need several more folks.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I'm still hoping for more folks to join the Schneider thumbscrew order, but so far only 10 screws have been committed out of a minimum order of 20 pieces.

Please let me know by PM if you would like to join in the order. I will keep this offer open for a while longer since it's still possible we can get to the minimum.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic