Novoflex Fine-Focus Bellows

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Novoflex Fine-Focus Bellows

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I'm sure some of you are aware, but for those interested in an inexpensive bellows with precision focusing, one model of Novoflex's vintage bellows (Balmin/Balco/etc) has a fine-focus feature. This bellows type is made of bakelite (or similar) and has a coarse adjust which is available by loosening a side screw, allowing the front standard to be moved forward/backward quickly. Once locked-down, the front standard rides on an interesting "rail" which is adjustable using the front screw. Each turn of the screw is ~1mm, and the knob has ~100 "knurls", so each knurl is ~10um. This makes precision focusing possible, and even shallow focus stacking up to 10x. The rail is is spring-loaded to eliminate backlash, and has a very smooth operation.

The most common configuration for this bellows is M42, and the rear standard camera mount is 360-deg rotatable so is great to use for "rotating" the subject. Overall this bellows is one of my favorites! Here's an example of the type on eBay (this one is Exacta mount):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Novoflex-Exact ... 3679703798

Edited to add: Over the years I've contemplated mounting a NEMA-8 or maybe NEMA-11 stepper to drive the focus screw on these bellows. A 200-step (1.8-deg) motor would give 5um full steps and 1.25um quarter steps, so should be sufficient for fairly high magnification. Might be nice to eliminate the need for the linear rail.

KimP

Re: Novoflex Fine-Focus Bellows

Post by KimP »

I have difficulties identifying the exact model of this Novoflex-bellows. I am a big fan of Novoflex and have a number of the old bellows, but not the one you are talking about. Could you give some more details and pictures to make it easier to identify the model?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

KimP wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 am
I have difficulties identifying the exact model of this Novoflex-bellows. I am a big fan of Novoflex and have a number of the old bellows, but not the one you are talking about. Could you give some more details and pictures to make it easier to identify the model?
Hi @KimP, and welcome to the forum!

I'm actually not sure what the official model name is for the M42 version, but for the CFD version it is "BALCAN". I think the M42 is called "BALCO". There are quite a few for sale right now on eBay, but unfortunately none of them state their model names.

Here's an M42 example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374341579711

And here's a CFD example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125713587640

KimP

Post by KimP »

Thanks a lot - it helped with the pictures. I thought it was one of the normal 2 "tube" models. Is the mono rail sturdy enough?

KimP

Post by KimP »

The model is called BALIX - se here:

https://photobutmore.de/exakta/objektive/novoflex/

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

KimP wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:07 pm
Thanks a lot - it helped with the pictures. I thought it was one of the normal 2 "tube" models. Is the mono rail sturdy enough?
The rail is very sturdy IMO. Only issue is there is a little movement when you turn the adjustment screw, but it pops back when you let go.

I've considered automating one of these but have not yet pursued it. I think it would be pretty easy to do.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

KimP wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:14 pm
The model is called BALIX - se here:

https://photobutmore.de/exakta/objektive/novoflex/
Yep, looks like the Exacta version is BALIX. Thanks for that link!

KimP

Post by KimP »

A little more clarification of the nomenclature:

The general name of the bellows model is "Balgengeräte I". The camera specific names are BALCO (M42), BALCAN (Canon), BALIX (Exa, Exakta, Topcon), BALMIN (Minolta), BALNIK-FTN (Nikon), BALZEN (Zenit (M39)). It was constructed in 1960 and was produced even up through the 70's. The interesting feature of this bellows is, as was pointed out in the beginning of this thread, the ability to make fine adjustments through a sort of built-in micrometer screw.

Reference: Dieter Gabler: Vollendete Spiegelreflex Fotografie mit Novoflex (1973)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic