Stackshot gone south?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dhmiller

Stackshot gone south?

Post by dhmiller »

I'm writing here because Cognisys support is closed for the weekend. Out of the blue, by which I mean it worked yesterday but not today with no changes in anything, my SS is exhibiting unusual behavior. When I turn it on, the red Trigger light goes on by itself, and when I plug the cable from the controller to the SS rail, I hear a motor sound (not a high whining as in the old High Precision mode days), but more like a low to mid-frequency whirring. If I plug the cable into the camera, it is locked as if taking a picture - I cannot access the LV nor any images on the card. Basically inoperable at this point. There's no Reset function that I've found - you can load an earlier configuration (which I don't have), but nothing else I can see to try. I think this is a controller issue because when I plugged the controller into a second rail (THK KR), I also got the whirring sound. I've toggled the power several times and checked and resecured all cables on both ends, but no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts? Many hours until Monday and Cognisys support.
Thanks much,
Dennis

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Stackshot gone south?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Check the manual for your StackShot. For the basic controller (the one with physical buttons), the manual says this:
With StackShot powered off, hold down the DOWN button, and apply power. Once the splash screen shows up, release the DOWN button. This will load the factory defaults. It will NOT erase your saved settings.
--Rik

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Reset performed: no luck. As soon as I connect the cable from the SS controller to the rail, the red trigger light comes on and I lose all control over the camera. Same thing happens when I connect the controller to the THK, so therein lies the source of the problem.

morfa

Post by morfa »

Sounds similar to the problems I had a while back. In my case one of the pins connecting the rail to the controller was bent and I was able to fix the erratic behaviour by carefully bending it back into alignment. You say you've checked the cables but I just wanted to mention this to make sure you've actually checked all the pins!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic