Nikon M Plan ELWD and SLWD questions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Soki

Nikon M Plan ELWD and SLWD questions

Post by Soki »

Hey guys,

has anyone compared e.g the Nikon M Plan 20 0,40 210/0 ELWD with the Nikon M Plan 20 0,35 210/0 SLWD ?

I know that the working distance of the SLWD is much longer, but what is about image quality?

Sadly they are expensive and therefore I don‘t want to buy both of them.

Thanks and kind regards,
Simon

physicsmajor

Re: Nikon M Plan ELWD and SLWD questions

Post by physicsmajor »

I don't have direct experience with these. Just from the raw stats, they have the classic trade-off of working distance with numerical aperture and thus potential resolution.

The NA on these tells a lot of the story. The SLWD supports a longer working distance with a somewhat lower numerical aperture of 0.35, and thus will have lower potential resolution than the ELWD with a NA of 0.4.

Other important considerations like image circle, CA correction, and edge performance also exist, and the specs may only give you a vague idea of these when applied to photomacrography.

Soki

Re: Nikon M Plan ELWD and SLWD questions

Post by Soki »

Thanks for your reply!
I couldn‘t find raw stats of the Nikon M plan 20 0,35 210/0 SLWD, but I found some for the Nikon M plan 20 0,40 210/0 ELWD.
At the moment I lean towards the ELWD, which seems to be used more in photomacrography.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic