Linear stage with 3.3" travel, stepper motor, and 0.5 micron encoder for about $100

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Re: Linear stage with 3.3" travel, stepper motor, and 0.5 micron encoder for about $100

Post by mawyatt »

lothman wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am
I think in the sub µm range the problem is no longer the motor but stick-slip phenomena of the spindel/nut. May be the ball screw of the THK KR series has an edge over all the thread screw spindels. But probably such small movements with high accuracy and repeatability are the domain of piezo positioners or thermal positioners.

Yes, if the encoder is attached to the motor shaft as in common rotary types (not linear types), then the encoder can't detect any of the stage movement, only the motor shaft rotation. So almost completely useless in reducing any movements by the stage and certainly no help on reducing backlash effects caused by the screw to stage interface (nut), which is likely the major source of backlash as you mention.

The THK KR types are probably some of the best available screw based rails, and use an elegant method of screw to stage engaging which produces little if any measurable backlash in typical systems at a few microns resolution, but no match for the precision of a properly designed closed loop piezo stage utilizing continuous strain gauge or capacitive feedback sensors. Of course the screw based stages can travel many mm and the traditional piezo stages are limited to much less travel, and the load capability of the screw based stages is much higher, so there's always a tradeoff.

An engineering way of viewing the encoder feedback location, if the position disturbance (backlash or other) is outside the feedback loop then it can't be detected nor corrected since the loop doesn't "see" the disturbance and thus can't compensate for it. With the encoder on the motor shaft it doesn't "see" the stage backlash, and can't provide feedback for correction by the closed loop system.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

physicsmajor

Re: Linear stage with 3.3" travel, stepper motor, and 0.5 micron encoder for about $100

Post by physicsmajor »

We have traveled rather far from the hardware at hand, and I don't want to mislead those potentially interested.

The encoder on this hardware is linear, high resolution and appropriate for the majority of photomacrography purposes (>3" travel and practical resolution around 1um which should be sufficient from around 0.1x to about 20x magnification). It is read from the bottom of the stage, not the motor/shaft. The system is capable of robust closed loop control over this entire range.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

physicsmajor wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:16 pm
We have traveled rather far from the hardware at hand, and I don't want to mislead those potentially interested.

The encoder on this hardware is linear, high resolution and appropriate for the majority of photomacrography purposes (>3" travel and practical resolution around 1um which should be sufficient from around 0.1x to about 20x magnification). It is read from the bottom of the stage, not the motor/shaft. The system is capable of robust closed loop control over this entire range.
Thanks, I just removed a question which you've answered.

It appeared that a rotary encoder was utilized, and attached to the motor shaft (rear). Since it's a linear encoder feeding back stage position the loop is closed at the stage and not the motor shaft as would be the case of a rotary encoder.

These Parker stages look attractive and I would be temped to get one and try the Trinamic controllers if I had the time, which I don't. Suspect some other folks may give this a try tho. The THK rails are getting scarce and more expensive it seems, so an alternative is welcome if it has similar characteristics for macro use.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

pkr97

Post by pkr97 »

physicsmajor wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:15 pm
In the grand tradition of re-purposing industrial equipment - especially things from biotech machines - at present there are quite a few OEM Parker-Hannifin stages on Ebay. These are extremely rigid and well made, and while you can get a (not as) nice linear stage for similar money from other manufacturers on Ebay these come with: a 0.488 um precision quadrature encoder(!!), a high quality 200 step/rev stepper motor, and an optical limit switch. This means you can do full closed-loop control - move, check position, correct to exactly where you want to be. They are specced at 3" of travel, but if you remove the hard stop you can get 3.3". The encoder goes the full length.

I am not aware of anything close to this price which has both the precision of this stage, plus the encoder, plus the stepper motor. I haven't seen anyone else posting about this here, and I thought it would be of interest around these parts.

One model is Parker 803-9288E, though some sellers just list it as Parker OEM. There are a couple versions of this thing, one with a Lin Engineering damped stepper motor and another with an Applied Motion stepper. I have the Lin Engineering variant. A couple links - they sell for under $100, depending on the seller you might end up total cost under $100 or a bit over.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-803-928 ... 3961637083
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-803-928 ... 2993263894
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-OEM-Lin ... 4272829268

I have successfully engineered this into a fully closed-loop controlled macro rail driven by a Raspberry Pi, a Polulu Tic stepper controller, and an Arduino which monitors the quadrature encoder and also fires the camera remotely by sending the correct IR LED pulse signal to my Nikon DSLR. The total BOM:

Parker OEM stage, shipped: $81.84 (may vary)
Rasperry Pi 4 model B: $35
Arduino Uno: $23
Polulu Tic (any which can do 1/16 microstepping): $31.95
IR LED, voltage drop resistors, random breadboards and hookup wires scavenged but let's say $10.

Total (close approximation): $181.79, definitely under $200.

This is under half the price of some commercial options, with far higher rigidity/precision and Stackshot/Wemacro do not offer anything with an encoder, never mind an encoder with submicron precision, so no closed-loop control. Each full step of the stepper motor travels 10 um, so with 1/16 microstepping you can actually achieve verifiable submicron positioning.

They are oddly shaped but easily adapted to photomacrography. On the Lin Engineering variant there is a tapped hole on the motor side of the stage which is photography-standard 1/4"-20, and another on the bottom which is also 1/4"-20. You can attach Arca-Swiss hardware to these and be off to the races!

The sled itself weighs a bit over 11 lb (not lightweight). Most would probably hard mount this for a horizontal setup, but I mount the whole thing to a tripod for mineral photography to good effect:

parker_macro_rail.JPG

If there is interest, I'd happily share more specs about the hardware as well as my Arduino sketch to monitor the quadrature encoder and fire the camera, and the Python code which interfaces with the Polulu Tic and implements full closed-loop control. It's a fantastic platform for photomacrography, at a fantastic price.

Hi, would you like to share your build details? I'm interested in building one using Arduino and R-Pi.

Thanks alot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic