Olympus is leaving the camera business

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Scarodactyl

Re: Olympus is leaving the camera business

Post by Scarodactyl »

I adsume microscope cameras are handled by thr microscope side of thr business, right? That's how Leica broke up anyway.

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

[ by Scarodactyl » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:22 am

I adsume microscope cameras are handled by thr microscope side of thr business, right? That's how Leica broke up anyway.][/quote]

Yes, that is correct through Olympus Life Sciences Div/Imaging-microscope entity, not from consumer camera division
Vishnu

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Ah, the USB issue. When Windows Vista came out Microsoft discontinued support for USB 1.0. We got a lot of grief from customers because their USB 1.0 cameras could no longer connect via USB. We had to explain that it wasn't just Olympus, but every manufacturer of USB 1.0 devices. If they had a problem, they should contact Microsoft.
On the subject of older microscopes from Olympus, let me expand upon business practices regarding obsolesence. As the author of imaging/audio FAQs for the Internet, as I have said I would live with the camera for awhile to assess its performance. One of the test areas I would shoot in was the warehouse at corporate headquarters, which housed all of the microscopy product. The microscope repair facility was just across the hall.
On one of my camera tests I saw a bin of about one cubic yard capacity filled with microscopes. Not just the stands - complete microscopes - frames, stages, condensers, eyepieces and objectives - all to be destroyed. Apparently these were discontinued models. I asked Olympus America CEO Mark Gumz why these weren't donated to clinics in third world countries. I learned Olympus had a charitable program to donate instruments of many types, but the scopes had to be taken off the inventory for financial purposes.
Such is corporate reality.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Olympusman wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:13 am
Ah, the USB issue. When Windows Vista came out Microsoft discontinued support for USB 1.0. We got a lot of grief from customers because their USB 1.0 cameras could no longer connect via USB. We had to explain that it wasn't just Olympus, but every manufacturer of USB 1.0 devices. If they had a problem, they should contact Microsoft.
On the subject of older microscopes from Olympus, let me expand upon business practices regarding obsolesence. As the author of imaging/audio FAQs for the Internet, as I have said I would live with the camera for awhile to assess its performance. One of the test areas I would shoot in was the warehouse at corporate headquarters, which housed all of the microscopy product. The microscope repair facility was just across the hall.
On one of my camera tests I saw a bin of about one cubic yard capacity filled with microscopes. Not just the stands - complete microscopes - frames, stages, condensers, eyepieces and objectives - all to be destroyed. Apparently these were discontinued models. I asked Olympus America CEO Mark Gumz why these weren't donated to clinics in third world countries. I learned Olympus had a charitable program to donate instruments of many types, but the scopes had to be taken off the inventory for financial purposes.
Such is corporate reality.

Mike
They can hire me to "destroy" all those microscopes, for free.
I just need a truck driver's licence.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic