Nikon Alphaphot 2

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S.

Matchett

Nikon Alphaphot 2

Post by Matchett »

Hi all,

After the better part of a decade of periodically digging through these forums, I recently moved focus stacking from deep in my to-do list to a spot near the top. And, after a lot of thought about my equipment options I did what I generally do in these situations and decided to go straight for what I figured was ideal, even if ideal isn't necessarily something I need. This way is always more fun, more interesting and more frustrating, and who doesn't like that mix at least sometimes?

So, I now have a Nikon Alphaphot 2 focus block I intend to automate. My search was mostly a search for Optiphot and Labophot 2 blocks, but I have a funny habit of seeing "Labophot" when you put "Alphaphot" in front of me and I ran across the listing for this one when it was well past my bedtime. This block though, has substantial casting in places where the Alphaphot doesn't, which will make mounting it easy.

I'm looking for service documents/exploded views or advice from someone who's had one apart. I've disassembled it as far as I can without knowing what's inside. I've read the service manual for the first-gen Labophot, and if this is similarly put together, then the two coarse knobs are joined by threads in the shaft. Knowing for sure, and knowing where they are, exactly, will simplify the job of making sure I don't damage the knobs trying to disassemble it.

Thanks in advance (and for this forum, generally... I've spent a lot of quality time here over the years).

Steve

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Just as a heads up, I believe the alphaphot 2 is known for having some plastic parts in the focus mount that fail. You can get metal replacements though which is nice.

Matchett

Post by Matchett »

Thanks. I was aware of the issues with the easy-to-crack fine focus gear, and thankfully it's in good condition on the one I have.

I managed to get past the threadlock today with some careful heat application, so after cleaning everything I'll be good to go for reassembling it.

Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic