Linos inspec.x L 5.6/105 Line Scan Lens Test at 0.3x and 3x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Linos inspec.x L 5.6/105 Line Scan Lens Test at 0.3x and 3x

Post by RobertOToole »

On the 1 year anniversary of my Cardiac Arrest and heart attack, I'm glad to be able to share the inspec.x L 5.6/105 lens test results. The full test on my site: https://www.closeuphotography.com/inspec-x-l-lens

The inspec.x L lens was tested at 0.3x on extension and 3x stacked. The results were very good and I would definitely recommend the lens especially now since the prices are down to $299 (with free Fedex priority) and especially since seller is one of the best around (the same S. Korean sellers that has sold the Makro-Symmar 120 for $349 a couple of times).

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
inspec.x L 5.6/105 -0.33x line scan lens
Order Number: 0703-085-000-20
Type: Industrial Large format 12K Line scan
Focal length: 105mm
Maximum aperture: f/5.6
Sharpest Aperture: f/5.6
Aperture range: f/5.6 - f/11
Coverage: 82mm image circle
Distortion: < 0.4%
Sensor pixel size: 5 μm
Manufacturers recommended magnification range: ß 0.33x (ß 0.45…0.25x) forward and ß 2.5x - 3x in reverse
Wavelength range: 400nm - 750nm
Lens mount: V-Groove, 46mm (V46) and M43 x 0.75 threads
Filter thread: M43 P= 0.75mm
Source: Lens made in Germany
Design includes cover glass: Yes, 0.76mm D263
Suggested retail price: $1395 (Other inspec. x lenses for comparison: inspec.x L 4/105, $2429, inspec. x float lens $3429)

0.3x TEST SET-UP

inspec.x L 5.6/105 line scan tested lens at f/5.6 mounted as marked (0.33x arrow towards the sensor)
Cosina 100mm f/3.5 macro lens tested at f/5.6 mounted normally
Sigma 70mm f/3.5 macro lens tested at f/5.6 mounted normally

Note that Cosina makes the 3.5/100 macro lens but it was also sold with the following private labels over the years:
SMC Pentax-FA 100mm f/3.5 macro
Tokina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro
Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 macro
Promaster Spectrum 7 lens 100mm f/3.5 macro
Phoenix AF 100mm f/3.5 macro
Soligor MC Macro 100mm f/3.5 macro
Voigtlander Macro-Dynar AF 100mm f/3.5 macro

Camera: Sony α6300, model # ILCE-6300, also known as: A6300
Sensor size: APS-C. 23.5 × 15.6 mm. 28.21 mm diagonal. 3.92 micron sensor pitch
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2 with one Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter
Vertical stand: Nikon MM-11 with a Nikon focus block

For this test a stack of images was made with 0.2mm (200 micron) steps. The sharpest frame was then chosen using Photoshop at 100% actual pixel view. Separate images were selected for center, edge, and corner if needed. Each image was processed in PS CC with identical settings with all noise reduction and lens correction turned off, all settings were zeroed out (true zero) and the same settings were used for all of the images. All of the images shown here are single files.

100% view center

Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.

100% view corner

0.3x results:
The inspec.x lens center sharpness was just about identical to the center, with just about zero CAs. The other two lenses were not as sharp, especially in the corners. The Plastic fantastic Cosina had pretty good CA control but less sharpness than the Sigma.

Inspec.x L lens was the best lens in this test at 0.3x.

3X test: INSPEC.X VS COMPONON-S VS STAEBLE MAGNOGON R

Front lens: Schneider Kreuznach 4/35 Componon lens reverse mounted

Rear lenses:
Inspec. x L 5.6/105 line scan lens mounted in reverse and as marked
Schneider Componon-S 5.6/100 line scan lens in BLV-L mount mounted normally
Staeble Magnogon R 5.6/105 repro lens mounted in reverse

TEST SET-UP

Camera: Sony α6300, model # ILCE-6300, also known as: A6300
Sensor size: APS-C. 23.5 × 15.6 mm. 28.21 mm diagonal. 3.92 micron sensor pitch
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2 with one Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter
Vertical stand: Nikon MM-11 with a Nikon focus block

For this test a stack of images was made with 4 micron steps. The sharpest frame was then chosen using Photoshop at 100% actual pixel view. Separate images were selected for center, edge, and corner if needed. Each image was processed in PS CC with identical settings with all noise reduction and lens correction turned off, all settings were zeroed out (true zero) and the same settings were used for all of the images. All of the images shown here are single files.

Center crops at 100% view:

Click on the image to open a larger version.

Corner crops at 100% view:

3x results:

In the center the three lenses were very close with the Componon-S being the sharpest. In the corners the Componon-S was still sharper but the inspec.x L had much better CA control around the 3-16 numbers. The Megnogon was in the very good but not as sharp as the other two in the corners with only okay CA control.

The inspec.x L was overall best at 3x with good sharpness and very good CA control.

The inspec.x L 5.6/105 is easy to recommend for use photography on extension or as a tube lens.

Questions or comments, please share them below.

Best,

Robert

The inspec.x L 5.6/105 Ebay seller: https://www.ebay.com/usr/usedparts-semifa?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, thanks for the tests and congratulations on a year of life after death.

I'm curious why you tested the old Sigma 70mm rather than the new one that did so well in your recent tests? Maybe the new version would have done better. Also, in my tests of the new Sigma, it is sharpest at f/4.0. So it has a potential diffraction advantage over the Linos.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Robert, thanks for the tests and congratulations on a year of life after death.

I'm curious why you tested the old Sigma 70mm rather than the new one that did so well in your recent tests? Maybe the new version would have done better. Also, in my tests of the new Sigma, it is sharpest at f/4.0. So it has a potential diffraction advantage over the Linos.

Thanks.

Good question. I don't own the 70 Art lens yet.

I used the cheaper lenses for this 0.3x-3x test since the inspec.x L was less than $300, thats about the same price as the old Sigma 70.

You are right I have a feeling that the 70 Art would have done really well at 0.3x. I planned to buy one on my trip to Japan in Feb but due to Covid pandemic, that got cancelled (as did all my business trips for the next six months). I will get one as soon as my business gets going again.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I used the cheaper lenses for this 0.3x-3x test since the inspec.x L was less than $300, thats about the same price as the old Sigma 70.
That makes sense.

You'll like the new Sigma 70mm when you get it.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thank you for the latest test Robert. I am so pleased to join in with the congratulations on your recovery.

BR

John

chris_ma

Re: Linos inspec.x L 5.6/105 Line Scan Lens Test at 0.3x and 3x

Post by chris_ma »

Great to see a comparison, I had this lens for a couple of months but never got around to put really use it so far.

One aspect where the inspec.x clearly exceeds the Sigma is distortion. Even on APS the Sigma shows quite a bit of change while the Linos remains very constant. The cosina seems to cope surprisingly well too.
chris

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes Chris, I agree, there is some distortion (and vignetting) in the Sigma. It can be eliminated by applying the Photoshop profile in the RAW conversion, but of course it is better to have a lens that is not distorted in the first place. I would still choose the Sigma over the Linos because of its versatility and its probable equal sharpness at f/5.6.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Thanks for another excellent test Robert.

Congratulations on your recovery, and wishing you a great year to come! :D

Best regards,
David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic