Question

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Guido

Question

Post by Guido »

I am thinking to use my Schneider Kreuznach 4/60 APO Componon lens reverse mounted on the sigma 180/3,5 macro.

Anyone tried this before, your expert opinions are very welcome.

dickb

Re: Question

Post by dickb »

Well, Robert tested one reversed onto a Makro Symmar 120/5.9:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... mm-f4-test

Guido

Post by Guido »

Thx Dickb.

Gues testing this is the next thing to do.

dickb

Post by dickb »

That would be the logical next step indeed. Please share the results.

Guido

Post by Guido »

Need to order step down rings from 72 to 37mm :D

dickb

Post by dickb »

Step down rings? I would guess you need a male / male connecting ring and step up rings if you want to connect the filter threads. Using many such rings will increase the distance between the front lenses, which is less than ideal in most cases, so you may want to use as few rings as possible. When using a tube lens with a recessed front lens I sometimes connect the filter thread of the tube lens to the rear mount of the reversed lens, using a combination of extension rings and adapters. This is inconvenient as you can't access the aperture of the reversed lens anymore once it is inside this tube, but it does allow mounting the reversed lens very close to the tube lens. This only works for fairly narrow reversed lenses though.

JKT

Post by JKT »

With such a big difference in size it is sometimes also possible to put one or two rings in reverse position. The dimensions have to be right and the female thread has to be through thickness, so it is touch and go. You also need to be aware, that once this is utilized, the tightening is a bit tricky; tightening one joint loosens another. If this can be utilized, the stack thickness can be surprisingly small.

Guido

Post by Guido »

I have here a step down from 72 to 67mm and a 67 to 67 (double male) i think this benro filter 67 to 37 should make the set complete.

JKT

Post by JKT »

That's three filters. On Aliexpress there are plenty of choices to reverse down from 72 mm. The smallest was 42mm IIRC. Then step-up from 37mm to the one you chose. I'd probably use something between 49mm and 58mm to keep the hole definitely large enough. All size combination may not be available, though. A large hole will allow larger taking lenses later with just new step-up if you are so inclined.

Guido

Post by Guido »

I think 3 is the minimum.
72 to reverse ring, reverse ring, reverse ring to 37mm.

At least that is the best i could find.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Well you can always get a ring made. Raf does solid work, I have a contact that does mine and they are great too.

JKT

Post by JKT »

There are reversing rings that have 72mm on one side and something smaller on the other side. Then just Step-Up from the 37mm to the other side of the reversing ring.

Guido

Post by Guido »

JKT wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:21 am
There are reversing rings that have 72mm on one side and something smaller on the other side. Then just Step-Up from the 37mm to the other side of the reversing ring.
My reverse ring is so tin. Double male screws almost complete in the female counterparts. The idea of a taylormade ring is a goodidea. Thank you.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Guido wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:11 am
My reverse ring is so tin. Double male screws almost complete in the female counterparts. The idea of a taylormade ring is a good idea. Thank you.
A thin combination is preferable most of the time, but it may not make a big impact on image quality. Getting a cheap and simple ring setup to test your combination may well be the smartest approach. Pictures of the Sigma 180/3.5 macro show it doesn't have a very recessed front element, so a few mm extra is not that likely to be a problem.

Most double male threaded rings have a rim preventing them from threading completely into a female counterpart. All step up and many step down adapters also have a ledge in their thread, allowing you to mount them in one direction only. Some step down adapters have uninterrupted threads, allowing you to mount other filters from both directions. This can be very useful sometimes, but also can be frustrating as they may be hard to unscrew again.

Guido

Post by Guido »

The Benro step down 67 to 37 is hard to find.
In the mean time I have reversed my FA 24/2 the result is about 7,5:1
If the sigma is focused to infinity there is vignetting, but focussing a bit closer cures that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic