Test wafer distribution: Many features, includes res chart

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

1 left for grabs.

2 people didn't include postage details. I'll head to the local PO and ask them if it's okay to print out addresses and tape them onto the letters.

For those who didn't include postage details, please send them and follow the format I've provided.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

One left, last one!
Surely we can get one more person on the list? ;)

Shipping -- I'll be buying the envelopes soon.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:One left, last one!
Surely we can get one more person on the list? ;)

Shipping -- I'll be buying the envelopes soon.
OK, I'll have one as well if you haven't promised it to someone else.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Sent my details but it looks like I missed the list!
Chris R

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Alrighty, 22 on the list now, all gone.
I have 25 in total, looks like I didn't count the first one which I snapped.
I'll keep a couple to myself and try to select the best looking ones to send out. Some have pretty heavy smudges, though I think it won't matter too much.

3 on my list wanted 2 copies, I'll try to make that happen!

Will be heading to the PO to enquire about such bulk shipments later in the day! I'll send my PP details in a day or so.

This is going to be the most handwriting I've done since I've sat an exam! :oops:

jmc

Post by jmc »

Thanks for the update, and all your work to make this happen.
Jonathan Crowther

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Another update!

I'm a bit busy at the moment. I aim to get all shipping fluff dealt with and send out my paypal address by Thursday.

I need to know if I'm allowed to print out the address and tape it onto the envelope. There's some other silly customs related stuff as well, I will be declaring the parcel as a gift and value is going to be $10.

The cost $17.70+$5, in AUD. Coffee/beer tips appreciated! :)

Here's the list of 21. I just realised that there's a duplicate. If the message is shown as "opened", chances are you're on this list already. Let me know if I missed you please. 21 means there's 4 extra slots, so if anyone is still interested, please do let me know, otherwise I'll send a second copy to those who wanted it.
-List redacted-

I recommend carefully gluing the silicon chip to a microscope slide. It's better to use UV activated glue or whatever glue that gives some time for arrangement. Should also be possible to use some kind of contraption to make sure the chip is perfectly parallel to the slide.

Everything will be sorted by the end of this week.
Last edited by Macro_Cosmos on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Update:

I'll be sending paypal stuff today, with some details.

I was told that the wafer can be cleaned with 70%+ rubbing alcohol using optical tissue or the alike, supersonic cleaner may also work. I will be trying both methods later and I will post results.

I missed one user, fixed that!

According to someone who has already paid, there isn't an option to send the money as friends/family. If that's the case, please follow these steps precisely:
1. Put in my email address, it would be a gmail address, my username followed by 4 arbitrary numbers, it has been sent so please check your inbox.
2. On the app, it should say something along the lines of "they will receive AUD", simply put in enough moeny in your currency so I receive the correct amount.
3. There's an option to add a message, put "wafer" if you want to, tap on next.
4. A page titled "We've got your back if something goes wrong" will show up, please select "Send without protection", this rids the 3% fees.
5. Everything should be completed!

I'll be logging the information from now on to make this process easier! I appreciate your patience. :)

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Thanks for all the coffee beans!

15 out of 21 have paid so far, I cannot identify one payer, which I've sent an email asking for the forum handle already. The "name" attached to the Paypal is An*** Tu****, please send me a PM if that's you! :D

Once all the payments go through, I'll be getting 21 envelops. This is what will happen:
1. I'll write down addresses etc
2. Photo of the envolope will be sent to each member
3. Please tell me if it's right or if I missed something, misspelling... wrong postal code etc.

Once this is all sorted, all 21 envelopes will be flying out of the country, and hopefully landing safely into your hands.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

2 left who have not paid. I'll be buying and sending the envelopes this Tuesday and sending them out the day after or on Friday depending on how the address verification goes. Monday is a public holiday and I'm busy on Wednesday.

To clean the chip, I recommend rubbing alcohol and q-tips/cotton swabs. Optical tissue aren't lint and fibre free, they will leave fibres behind. I've tested about 10 brands, they are all similar.

Ultrasonic cleaner didn't do much. The smudges were cleaned off with ease using swabs.

It would be hard to keep a chip this big clean, so I'd say just give it a good swab till there's no annoying stuff on the area of interest, then just store it in a ziplock bag.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'm looking forward to these! Thanks. It will be wonderful to have more or less standardized, quantitative measures of resolution for our lens set-ups based on those test patterns. Finally we will be able to test our own objectives to see if we have dogs (relative to those of the same type owned by others).

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Are there any left or did i miss the boat?

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

houstontx wrote:Are there any left or did i miss the boat?
There are some left as of now, please send me a PM.

These wafers will pop up at times, and my friend will be able to get more for laser cutting, send to me, so a second wave is always possible.

Notice to everyone: I will not be cleaning the wafers before sending it out. Please follow my post above to clean it yourself.

I simply clean the area of interest with assistance of a microscope, the rest is just left there. I pulled out the wafers today and as expected, some dust particles spawned on them! So I expect people to receive wafer chips with fibre coming from the optical tissue I'll be wrapping them in.

Sven

Post by Sven »

I am also interested in receiving a test wafer. Have tried to PM you twice today but I cannot find my message in my Sendbox. Hope that my message got through. :-)

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Alrighty, all gone as of now. Hopefully writing the addresses won't drive me nuts ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic