Recommendation for machinist in UK for microscope adapter?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jmc

Recommendation for machinist in UK for microscope adapter?

Post by jmc »

All, I could do with a bit of advice please. I'm looking to find a machinist in the UK who would be able to make me something for an Olympus microscope I have.

Does anyone have any contacts they have worked with or know of in the UK that have experience making parts for microscopes or cameras.

What I'm after would have a male M52x0.75 thread on the top, a dovetail in the middle (to fit where the turret would normally sit) and then female RMS thread on the bottom. I doubt it's hugely complex for someone with a lathe and screw cutting capability, but I don't know of anyone.

If anyone has anybody they can recommend please let me know either on here or via PM.
Jonathan Crowther

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Thorlabs stock their parts for the European market in the UK and Germany. They offer dovetail adaptors for Olympus microscopes (I have a couple on order). If you're going to pay for custom work, I would assume it's gonna cost more than off-the-shelf components.

To get to M52, you would need either their SM30 or SM1 port adaptor, then another adaptor to SM2, then SM2 to M52x.075. A quick calculation leads to $150-$200, so maybe a custom machinist is the way to go... hmmm.
Anyhow, here's the link: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9. ... 5&pn=LCPY2

There's a Spanish machinist that sells a myriad of microscope components on ebay, there's even some oddball weirdo types. You might find what you want. They are cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/micro_crystal

I've bought a couple adaptors from him. The quality is alright, no anodising, but I reckon there's regulation against doing such environmentally harmful things in one's own house. I know it's not allowed in China or Japan.

dickb

Post by dickb »

I would recommend contacting Rafael from RafCamera. He makes a lot of adapters, I see he has made some for Olympus dovetails, one he describes as a 42mm dovetail for a BH2, the other a 46mm dovetail for a BX40. He should be able to make what you are after.

There may be some delay with shipping from Belarus though.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that my Olympus microscope is one of the older ones - BHB. The dovetail is smaller diameter than the new ones (42mm at its widest point).

I hadn't even thought about Thorlabs. I had a quick look on there, and as far as I can tell they are too big for my scope.

Rafcamera is an option. I've got a few camera lens adapters from him, so yes, I'll take a look at what he has thanks. I'll also check out the ebay link.

I'd assumed custom made was the only way to go, so it's good to know there are options.
Jonathan Crowther

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

jmc wrote:The dovetail is smaller diameter than the new ones (42mm at its widest point).
Just a note; you need to find the exact specs for the dovetail. The critical measurement is the diameter of the dovetail at the height where it is pushed against the fitting or clamp screws. Just the maximum diameter is not enough.

Regards, Ichty

jmc

Post by jmc »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:
jmc wrote:The dovetail is smaller diameter than the new ones (42mm at its widest point).
Just a note; you need to find the exact specs for the dovetail. The critical measurement is the diameter of the dovetail at the height where it is pushed against the fitting or clamp screws. Just the maximum diameter is not enough.

Regards, Ichty
Noted, thanks :D
Jonathan Crowther

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Ah yes, Thorlabs only have BX and IX stuff, not even CX scopes which are popular-ish.

Nonetheless, you should go to the page and click on "dovetail details", you will see the dovetails sectioned, and critical information such as the slope angle. These are things you will have to provide to the machinist after measuring yourself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic