Nikon SMZ800 repair manual?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ichthyophthirius

Nikon SMZ800 repair manual?

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

Does anyone here have a copy of the Nikon SMZ800 repair manual? I'm not even sure if it exists, the only trace of it is an Ebay listing that I don't quite trust (and that's also a bit above my budget).

Regards, Ichty

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Oof, sorry to hear you're having trouble.
No leads on that front, except that I suspect it exists. I gave up on fixing my smz1500 myself but my local microscope repair guy knew exactly how to work on it.
What's wrong with it, out of curiosity?

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi, Massive dust build-up inside the zoom body. I normally stay away from messing with internal optics but it is unusable in its current state. :cry:

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I have a unitron z6 which is a clone/close copy. It looks like you'd want to first remove the zoom knobs then take off the top part of the case. Tjis one needs fixing so if I get it open I'll document the process.

dy5

SMZ800 manual

Post by dy5 »

I have an SMZ 800 repair manual and parts list that I'll be happy to send you. They look complete, but I haven't gone through them carefully. Just PM me with your email address.

This comes from the seller on eBay with the compendium of Nikon manuals. I'll be happy to share anything from that with members. Just let me know what you need.

Cheers, David

newtonsapple

Re: Nikon SMZ800 repair manual?

Post by newtonsapple »

I just got an SMZ800 that needs repair. The image is sharp, but the alignment is off and the left and right images are offset from each other. Would you mind sharing the repair manual you have?

I am very comfortable with equipment repair, but this will be the first scope I work on, so any guidance as to what I am getting into would be helpful. This scope has the P-BERG tilting eyepieces.

Bakwetu

Post by Bakwetu »

I also just got a Nikon smz800 and when it arrived there was no image in the left tube. It uses mirrors in the microscope head, as a cost saving I guess, instead or real prisms and one of those lower sitting mirrors were loose. That part of the construction does not look very sturdy I must say, they are just held in place with cement/glue on the top and bottom. Maybe yours have had the same issue and wasn't repaired properly?

Anyhow, I used some superglue and put it back where I felt it fitted with the remnants of the old glue, but I got the same issue as you did. The image was offset a lot and I realized I had to be much more careful and precise gluing it on. So instead I held it in place while checking in the scope for when the images aligned properly. First time I did that I had to take it off again as I had pushed the left side mirror too close to the right side one and they bumped into one another when the oculars were pushed together, but after some tries I got it positioned. There is less than a mm between the left and right side mirrors.

I should have bought a slower hardening glue though, either a UV hardening one or a 15 minute glue so I have had more time getting it perfect. There is a transitional zone where the image do align, where you should move it back and forth to get it perfect so it becomes strain free to use.

dy5

Post by dy5 »

No problem - just PM me your email address and I'll forward the PDFs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic