Thermal Printer

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Thermal Printer

Post by mawyatt »

Considering a thermal printer after seeing all the great works folks have produced.

Have a few small printed circuit boards (usually under 100mm square, 60mm height or less) and such that been developed that I would like to create cases for and maybe some future small fixtures to support LEDs lights.

Any recommendations for a device that could make small fixtures and housing for small electronics like used in our macro work setups.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Do you mean a 3D printer?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Yes, 3D thermal printer.
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

iconoclastica

Re: Thermal Printer

Post by iconoclastica »

mawyatt wrote:maybe some future small fixtures to support LEDs lights
Mind the heat: some of the printed plastics easily become unstable.
--- felix filicis ---

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

If you want to get your feet wet inexpensively I'd buy a Ender 3 and watch all of CHEP's videos related to that particular printer. They just had sale on them last month for $169.00 but no longer. CHEP also suggest a few upgrades that you should buy too. If you go that route, I'd buy the upgrades at the same time you order the Ender 3.

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/prod ... 2266921033

Here's a link to ONE of CHEP's Ender 3 videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FahVngvlhoY

and all of the rest of his Ender 3 videos where it explains the upgrades.

https://www.youtube.com/user/beginnerel ... ender+3%22

I have three friends purchase the Ender 3 and are very happy with the results. They were lucky to buy at the lower price, not that the Ender 3 is expensive in the first place.

I wouldn't even consider anyone purchasing a 3D printer IF they are impatient and don't like to tinker. They take a lot of tinkering to get quality prints. Having CAD or modeling abilities is a huge plus IF you want to design anything on your own. Most have no desire to learn a CAD program. There will be a learning curve on the slicing software too and eventually many upgrade to a more advanced slicing program.

Saul has designed and 3D printed some really nice and useful things. I'm not sure if he still has them posted on Thingiverse.com but you can search for Saul and 3D print.

I did this one a few years ago. Tetrahedral drilling jig for molecular modeling spheres. I screwed around with it for a long time.

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Re: Thermal Printer

Post by Smokedaddy »

iconoclastica wrote:
mawyatt wrote:maybe some future small fixtures to support LEDs lights
Mind the heat: some of the printed plastics easily become unstable.
I totally agree, very important. This is a interesting related video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLrISrkg46g

-JW:

Saul

Post by Saul »

Smokedaddy wrote:...I have three friends purchase the Ender 3 and are very happy with the results. They were lucky to buy at the lower price, not that the Ender 3 is expensive in the first place. ...
I own Ender 3 & 5 (cannot speak for others brands). Would go for 5 with 1.1.5 mainboard only, not older versions (if to use original parts). Now (because of the corona, limited supply) prices are VERY high, would wait some time
...I wouldn't even consider anyone purchasing a 3D printer IF they are impatient and don't like to tinker. They take a lot of tinkering to get quality prints. Having CAD or modeling abilities is a huge plus IF you want to design anything on your own. Most have no desire to learn a CAD program. There will be a learning curve on the slicing software too and eventually many upgrade to a more advanced slicing program...
Correct. It will be one more time/efforts consuming hobby. Very much ...
Saul has designed and 3D printed some really nice and useful things. I'm not sure if he still has them posted on Thingiverse.com but you can search for Saul and 3D print. ...
Was forced to remove some items - my posts were "for personal use only". After some time I saw guys selling on ebay and facebook ....
Saul
μ-stuff

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Thanks folks.

Don't mind tinkering and somewhat patient, so may be a good candidate but will wait for the prices to drop.

I was considering using a small heat sink for the LED and using the printed plastic part to mount to the heatsink, so the plastic will only see the lower heat sink temperature.

Best,
~Mike

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

mawyatt wrote:Thanks folks.

Don't mind tinkering and somewhat patient, so may be a good candidate but will wait for the prices to drop.
Even though they are sold out as of today, that's still a smoke'in deal in my opinion even at $210.00 for a 3D printer that size that has a really good results, lots of tutorials available along with many followers.

-JW:

Saul

Post by Saul »

mawyatt wrote:...Don't mind tinkering and somewhat patient, so may be a good candidate but will wait for the prices to drop...
I have no doubts :)
But keep in mind - it is addictive... a lot ... :twisted:
Saul
μ-stuff

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Thanks for the recommendation--I was showing my dad some of the videos and he ordered an Ender 5 Plus. Can't wait to give it a try!

Saul

Post by Saul »

Scarodactyl wrote:Thanks for the recommendation--I was showing my dad some of the videos and he ordered an Ender 5 Plus. Can't wait to give it a try!
Make SURE, that it is 1.1.5 motherboard !
Saul
μ-stuff

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Thanks for the tip! He ordered it directly from their site so I assume it eill be all the latest but I will check.
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Wed May 06, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saul

Post by Saul »

Scarodactyl wrote:Thanks for the rip! He ordered it directly from their site so I assume it eill be all the latest but I will check.
Meh ...I would check with them (and refuse if it is older board) - my direct Ender 3 purchase did not come with latest the MB. They are pushing oldest stock first. Newest board is completely different story - only new drivers means a lot, no stepper's whining, you'll hear fans only. I'm not talking about other features.
Saul
μ-stuff

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Saul,

Wonder if the "new boards" come with the Trinamic chips, these could explain the quietness since they have the Stealth Chop Mode.

Best,
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic